Oil dipstick broken...

goldeneye

Hello All.
I am hoping again that you can assist me?? Today when I checked the oil in my A2, the bottom of the dip stick ( half of the orange time) broke off. I think that it is still stuck in the tube,but I cant be sure. I took the car to an Audi dealer,and he said that for the cost of having to drain the engine & open the sump,it wasnt worth it. I was told that I should just order a new dipstick and let the broken part fall into the sump,as there is no way that it could get through the wire gauze and into the engine compartment.
The cost all in including labour,vat,and a new dipstick will be in excess of 460 Euros.

I would appricate any of your advise , as im not sure what to do with it.

Kind Regards

Guys is this 'broken dipstick' only an issue with the Diesels? or the Petrols as well?

Just for knowledge :)

Sarge

I was told by the dealer that the lost piece would do no damage also.

Mine broke off at around 65,000 miles in my TDi. They only cost £5 ish, so I will now change mine every service, rather than have a sump full of bits!

Dip-sticks.

Hi all, the same problem occur's on the PETROL A2s!! here is a piece of advice/information
to you all: do check the 'length' of your dipstick ie: Petrol 1.4 = 26.1/4" or (66.7 cm)
Diesel 1.4 = 31.1/2" or (80. cm)
------> before you order a replacement! so you get it right.

Measurements taken: from bottom tip of stick, up to top collar/ shoulder(yellow)at ring finger pull, all of this is obvious i know, but it all helps, i purchased one about year ago and
the price was around the £5.50/ 6.00 area, Cheers Alan.

dipstick broken

Mine has been broken a while i just look on the dash when the oil light comes on. Car did have a major oil leak at one point which was fixed.
New dipstick ordered from local Audi today @ £6.

I think my dipstick is broken as well, but not even sure what am I suppose to see on the marks. Ive had oil change recently done at garage, seemed they over filled a bit and after draining 1.3 pint (750ml 3/4 of a small bottle) I still see this. My drawing isn't the best :/
Any idea what's going on? Cheers

The rounded end towards the upper end of your dipstick is the FULL marker, anything above that is OVERFILLED and you risk causing damage to the engine. Drain out any excess oil as soon as possible and try not to drive until you have done so. The broken off end shouldn't cause any problems unless of coarse there are already several in the sump!
For all those who have broken off dipstick ends contact Paul @depronman on here as he prints 3d replacement ends that you simply glue in place of your broken end. You even get 2 in the pack so you have a spare.

Last edited:
And just to add, I've sold about 70 sets of these over the last 3 years and so far no one as reported one breaking or coming off - so an improvement over the original Audi design. Its also easier to read the oil level than the original
Cheers,

Any A2 that you do not know the whole life history of could have had broken dipsticks in the past. All we can do is be careful while we own them. Pauls replacement tips let you have a fully functional dipstick again, BUT the old tip could well be having a party with others in the sump. If the sump is off this is another must to check for and remove any tips found. Lot of time and cost to remove the sump only to check for tips though...
All plastics gradually age in the hot / cold oil they are immersed in, not so much if it is going to break the tip off more when. Perhaps this may be a good preventative measure to replace while old one still intact. Paul fire up the printer.

The rounded end towards the upper end of your dipstick is the FULL marker, anything above that is OVERFILLED and you risk causing damage to the engine. Drain out any excess oil as soon as possible.
I've drained 1 litre (1.7 pint) in the last 3 days and the dipstick shows the same as in the picture...oil on plastic bits, no oil on rod and again oil till top of ball. Had oil change a week ago, driven like 90 miles since. How would I know if any damage been caused?

I also want to check if they actually replaced the oil filter, because the oil was way over filled and it turned to black soon again. I read there should be a plastic cover with a screw on the top, but can't seem to find it. Thanks

Last edited:
The full mark is where your red line is roughly so only oil up to there not beyond.
From the manual here is the oil filter. It looks like a canister on the petrol where the diesel paper filter fits into a housing with plastic cover.
Try looking straight down the gap between the heatshield and the fan controller on the right hand end of the engine as you pictured it.
How much oil did they charge you for?

A picture of more what is should look like.

And even this one has the bottom part broken off. Safe oil levels is within the hatched area.

A picture of more what is should look like.
View attachment 49039
And even this one has the bottom part broken off. Safe oil levels is within the hatched area.
Okay thanks for the info.
Might be the flash but looks like oil reaches the round bit too? I've drained a lot of oil but still get half of that orange bit covered :( And I've used a small tube thought dipstick hole to get oil out, so 1litre took me like 3 days..
Receipt didn't say the amount just oil and filter change 72 quid

Any A2 that you do not know the whole life history of could have had broken dipsticks in the past. All we can do is be careful while we own them. Pauls replacement tips let you have a fully functional dipstick again, BUT the old tip could well be having a party with others in the sump. If the sump is off this is another must to check for and remove any tips found. Lot of time and cost to remove the sump only to check for tips though...
All plastics gradually age in the hot / cold oil they are immersed in, not so much if it is going to break the tip off more when. Perhaps this may be a good preventative measure to replace while old one still intact. Paul fire up the printer.
I make them in 16's at a time :)

Using vacuum to suck out the oil is quicker. Another way is to get an old windscreen washer pump and some suitable plastic hose and suck the oil until it nearly reaches the pump then stop and empty out the hose, not sure the pump would be capable of pumping completely, but happy to be proved wrong.

I did read the dipstick should be removed, cleaned and inserted several times before attempting to read the level. This to clear the dipstick guide tube, hopefully give a clearer reading and avoid false readings. I am concerned you are taking too much out.

Three days seems an extraordinarily long time. You say you are using a small tube down the dipstick guide tube. Exactly what is your method, I am curious?

Andy

Back