oil leak

Can anyone advise,I recently had my A2 cam belt changed at 67000 miles and since then have found my car making an odd noise which I thought was possibly due to the timing being off.(Was planning to get it checked at upcoming service).I've just discovered an oil leak under the car and wondered if the 2 were connected? If not any idea where the leak could be from and is it going to be expensive/terminal to repair?:(

Hi claracluck
The cambelt change does not involve any oil seals or gaskets being disturbed so the oil leak could be a coincidence - however I'm sure the job requires the engine to be lowered slightly for access. I know you have a petrol model but on my diesel (which is probably the same) I managed to dislodge the oil filler pipe between the service grill and engine which caused a big oil leak.
If you have not already done so, lift off the bonnet and check the engine bay is not splattered with oil before driving too far
Is there any way you can describe the odd noise which may help us with a diagnosis. Better still, take the car back to the garage and complain.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,
Thanks for the advice,mine is the deisel model also-forgot to say that bit!
The noise sounds a bit like the sound an engine makes if its going up a hill/incline in the wrong gear and you need to change down-a rattle or jingle like noise.Hope that makes sense!
Thanks.

Hi Clara

If the noise occurs when the car is coasting (but in gear) or when you change down a gear, then my money is on the CAT! The ceramic around it is liable to cracking which then makes the rattling noise. I recently had mine replaced (cost of Cat £250). There is a metal one due on the market that will be a little more expensive but it will not crack.

Hope this helps:eek:

Neil

Back