Oil overfill

elromo1

HELP! I recently overfilled the oil in my 1.6 fsi as I didnt know how to read the dipstick. ( Should have just looked in the handbook! Anyway, subsequently, the car had random misfire, losing power uphill, lumpy tickover, and occasionally white smoke from the exhaust on heavy acceleration. It has been in the garage and had the oil drained and new in up to the right level, 2 new ignition coils ( 1 and 2 ), new spark plugs. The car now runs fine, but still has a lumpy tickover, plus has developed a slight knocking noise. I cannot work out where it is coming from. I have tried to contact the garage, but here in Spain everyone shuts in August for the holidays.
I have read that overfilling the oil can result is serious damage to almost every part that needs lubrication. I need to use the car for work, but dont know what to do, any thoughts?

I am not an expert, but will try to help as much as I can.

The description looks like you were experiencing some bad combustion (detonative). This is the result of bad mixture of air and fuel, or bad angle of preignition (on old engines). Is it posible that the fuel is bad (low octane value)?

Think I read somewhere somthing about a crankshaft sensor creating similar problems, so try to google this solution.

Hope I helped at least a bit. Hope some of the more experienced members will give you proper help.

Back