It takes about 0,5l..
The engine works superb, everything seems to be ok
I've just replaced oil,oil filter and plugs
I haven't noticed any other problems..

Is it normal??:confused:

I have 1,6 FSI 2004

Last edited:
Oil warning too

I too have to top up oil regularily. I have a 1.4 Petrol, other than sounding a little tappety, there are no problems. Engine pulls well and revs smoothly. No oil leaks under the car and no mayonaise gunk in the oil. No oil in the coolant either.

Any ideas - I hope it's not expensive!

I have a 1.4 petrol and it also needs more frequent oil additions than i am used to (every 3000 Km a 0.5l of oil) (comparison: i also have a ford tdci witk 260.000km and it never needs oil additions..)

how large is the oil capacity anyway? the level being OK or the light warning is only a 0.5l difference?

I was suprised when the low oil light recently came on in my 1.4 petrol. I haven't had the car that long and it was serviced when I bought it. I thought maybe they didn't put enough oil in as the dipstick is so hard to read, but it is beginning to sound that this is perhaps normal. Mine is a bit tappety too, although the noise goes away when it warms up - it's just unfortunate that it echoes around the underground carpark in the mornings. Otherwise it is smooth and pulls well also.

My old Leon Cupra had a similar thirst for oil. I had it checked out but no one could find anything wrong with it. At least the Leon had a regular dipstick though, the one in the A2 makes it difficult to judge how much to top up with.

Providing your cars are not leaving a trail of blue smoke after starting or on the over-run the engines are likely to be in perfect condition. Often piston and cylinder components at the high end of their production tolerances fractionally increase cyl bore clearance which allows minute quantities of oil past the piston rings. Many race engines are deliberately machined this way to reduce friction and increase horsepower.
If you do have the blue smoke problem however then the most common causes of oil consumption are worn valve stem oil seals and guides or worn piston rings (often the result of poor air filtration)

Cheers Spike

Back