oil sensor

dick

I deceided to use £30 oil instead of £60(long life) since I was low milage short trips-changing much more frequently.However,changing computer to "low spec" SEEMS to mean time or milage is being sensed.I would rather have "oil condition" sensed--is this what happens when computer is set for extended service.
Anybody KNOW what the oil condition sensor actually senses

Hi dick
The A2 does not have an oil condition sensor. The engine ECU works out a duty cycle and bases the variable oil changes on this data. Basically, lots of short or stop-start journeys are bad for oil while long motorway trips at steady speeds are good.
Even with your more frequent change periods, ensure the oil meets the relavant VW spec. A £30 oil may not.

Cheers Spike

Spike
Thanks for reply
I,m using Millers XFE-PD and last lot was only in about 3,500 miles BUT 11 months.I,ve changed it with service indicater showing 600 miles.
I had "brain" checked--its on low quality oil
What I want to know is that I,m not wasting my time and would be better going back to variable service and 0/30 oil

Hi dick
The Miller PD oil is ok for standard (not long life) services as it meets the VW 50501 spec. Audi suggest the standard service interval is better for low annual mileage cars so I would stick with this oil and change it every 12 months. If all your journeys are short then at least once a week take it for a 20 - 50mile spin so the oil gets nice and hot This gets rid of condensation and combustion nasties from the cold running which are held in suspension in the oil
I personally use Castrol Edge longlife oil (£42 for 4L at Halfords) and still change it every 12months (approx 8,000miles) It may be a waste of cash but with oil you never know until it's too late

Cheers Spike

Spike
Again thanks
One last question
Are you on variable service setting and if so what is reading when you do your yearly change--youve done 8000 miles how much does ECU say youve got left

There's a rumour — although I don't know how strong it is — that Audi might be discontinuing the variable servicing as it's costing so much in warranty claims.

The chaps at my garage, IndeTech at Milton Keynes (all ex-Audi techs and very good, to boot), suggest that TDIs are good for 200,000 miles but that it is best to revert to fixed servicing after 80,000 miles.

Hi Dick
I've had the car from new and was on variable servicing for the first 4 years. I changed the oil myself between services (every year) and and had the dealer do the service at the 2 year limit which was about 20,000 miles at the time. The service indicator however,showed I could have gone to 30,000 miles if I had not timed out. For info, as the service indicator was only reset at the main services, the intermediate oil changes had no effect on this mileage reading.
I now do all the servicing myself and just reset the trip for the fixed change period but I have VagCom and may reset to variable next time as its a good indicator of operating conditions

Cheers Spike

Hi Dick,

I live in the congestion charge zone so it is hard to beat me for stop start driving! I also do less than 4000 miles a year and if not for the summer time long trips (and the A2OC meet!) I would do even less and my 2001 y-reg is just 40k. I have been on variable service, averaging to almost an annual service. So I guess for our kind of driving and milage, variable/fixed isn't that much difference, certainly not for me. So take your pick!

If I have a garage (yeah, right, in central London!), I would get some advice from Spike and try to do my own service too! Engine is obviously an item subject to wear, so I prefer to use higher quality oil even if it may be reasonably more expensive. That's why I stick to the Castrol SLX LongLife II, available from most Halfords.

oil changes

To spike,thumps and anyone else
Thanks for reply
I,m an old fart--too set in my ways--I,ll forget variable servicing--and service indicators--go back to regular oil /filter changes

dick said:
To spike,thumps and anyone else
Thanks for reply
I,m an old fart--too set in my ways--I,ll forget variable servicing--and service indicators--go back to regular oil /filter changes

that is the best thing to do unless you do very high milage once a year oil/oil filter/air filter plugs and it should be fine

gheers
robin

Back