Oil usage 1.4 petrol

smarcins

Hi all A2 owners

I am a happy owner of A2 1.4 petrol. I own it for 2 months now. I have found that the engine consumes the oil. I have to top up 250 ml every 1000 miles. My question is what makes the engines use the oil? There is no leaks,oil marks on the ground or no white smoke behind me. It is annoying thing. Second question is:if I change the oil from 5W-30grade to 10W30 (thicker ) does it make a difference in the usage??
cheers

and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2009

I've had had mine for 5yrs. Oil usage is normal. Rarely have to top up oil given I stick to the service intervals and oil is changed and filled up. Do you put only 250ml each time? Have you tried putting in a whole litter? Is your car already on low oil level when you get it?

I also used to have to put oil in mine on a weekly basis. But since changing to a top quality oil e.g. Longlife or Mobil1 it has virtually stopped using any oil at all. I hope this works for you.

yep mine does the same nothing to really worry about. although now we have had it a while its stopped using it! when we bought it it used oil and i put the castrol stuff in to top it up using 2 ltrs in over a month! we used it for short journys too.

i got worried but when we did 2/3 long journys to london it stopped using oil . we only really use it on short journys every day as my partner is a carer so there is alot of stopping and starting but the oil consumption has been so much better since those long journys. think its maybe cleaned it out a bit...

Valve Guides?

Hi smarcins, welcome to the A2oc
There is a bit more info on the causes of oil consumption in the attached thread
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4829&highlight=valve+guides

Cheers Spike

Previously, with a differnt German brand, my car with 44000 miles on the clock was consuming 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles. Surprisingly this was considered within specificiation by the manaufacturer (apparently 1.5 litre/1000 miles was the limit). There was no obvious leaks or oil being burnt from the exhaust, compression test did not show up any thing abnormal, so the dealer suggested replacing the valve guides. Amazingly the oil level never moved between services following the replacement of the valve guides. As I was doing 600 miles per week, the savings in oil more than paid for the labour and the valve guide parts.

So if my car is consuming oil with no obvious signs of leaks etc, I would get the valve guides looked at to get an opinion on it.

Back