Older Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

runboy

I've had enough. I had to say something.

Two notable incidents:

Approaching traffic lights in left lane, lights on green for straight ahead and right turns. Small green Mazda 2/Hyundai Getz thingy in other lane to go straight over. We both approach the lights, he is slightly ahead of me, I'm not going to pass him on the left. Then the right turn filter goes to red. Green car slows down to nearly a stop (must have though all lights had gone to red) so I undetake him. He then speeds up, passes me on now nearly a single lane and cuts straight in front of me. Old boy driving.

Roundabout, two lanes, left lane for left and ahead, right lane for right and ahead. White Xsara indicates to go right so I go in left lane, we both enter the roundabout side by side. Xsara starts to drift over to me then sticks left indicator on and I have to brake before it swipes the front off my car. When Xsara eventually goes another way, I notice an old women, with front fogs and SIDE lights on. It was dark.

Behind a Pug 406, been driving with no indication when it stop in a side road for no apparant reason, I pull up behind it. Reverse lights come on and without looking the old woman starts to reverse towards me. I have to revers wuickly and she wips it into a parking space. No notice of me at all. Good job I wasn't a person walking behind her.

Otherwise this week I've had old people do the following:

Pull out in front of me, block my path when they can go no further, let me guess which way they are going, cause me to swerve and brake hard to avoid collisions. OK, I know 90% of my driving is in the city so I'm more likely to come across this type of driver, but it appears to be getting worse.

People live longer these days, but it doesn't mean their driving is of a better standard or they are any more mobile-for goodness sake some oldies don't have the strength or ability to turn their heads left or right.

Sorry, had to have a rant!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I agree about the standard of driving but its not just the old folk, I was following a white van down the road when it indicated left started to turn and then stopped in the middle of the lane (the road was clear), the T**T decided he didn't want that turning. I had to brake very hard and swerve into oncomming traffic and then swerve back to avoid a car overtaking. bu**er me if the age of both were older then 25. Had to stop at nearest carpark to calmdown (and check undies). Luckly for us a Police car had pulled out behind us and saw it all and asked if we were alright.

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets

I agree that it's the standard of driving these days, not the age. Which is why it annoys me when people automatically assume it's young drivers who cause all the problems. Just look at insurance companies-many say you must be between 21 and 70 before they will cover you. Or the cheaper cover anyway-anyone can get insurance at a cost!!!.

With the extended driving tests (even just driving tests-how many old people haven't taken a test at all), theory tests, probation period for new drivers it will hopefully lead to better standards....

Give us eye tests and driving tests every few years-that would help.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Know what you all mean....I've driven 30-50k pa for the last 8 years or so and seen just about everything imaginable. Most recently at jct 9 on the M40/A34 a driver stopped in the middle of the 3 lane roundabout as he missed his exit, did a near 180 degree turn to get off the roundabout, then immediately stopped in the outside lane of the dual carriageway as he obviously realised he didn't want that exit after all!!! Only thing stopping him reversing back onto the roundabout were about 40 rush-hour drivers screaming to a halt all around him/her!!! I don't think you can point the finger at any group in particular but to a general lack of thought/common sense/aptitude out there. Perhaps there should be some kind of general aptitude test to find out who even has the basic skills to be allowed to learn to drive......after all they dont let us all learn to fly jets do they????? Just a rant, I know its not really practical...

And whats all this got to do with old or older drivers? I could go on all day about 20 something women drivers, it's only Monday night and already I have been run down by 2 (separate) 20 something females,and that as a pedestrian! 3 road rage incidents last week, all 20 something women, still as a pedestrian. There is really only one really safe competent driver on the road today with 50 years experience on ALL sorts of vehicles, (warships too, does that count?)and in many countries, but not Germany. And that's me. So there. Oldies indeed, I'll whack you with my walking stick, if my glasses don't fall off first. Driving in Holland worries me, it's the rules about cyclists. Driving in the USA is OK as long as you can read English, because that's how the road signs are. I know it's bad grammar, but I'm annoyed at falling out of my bath chair in a rage.
Looking forward to a trip to the Audi factory and my first taste of driving in Germany next year.

hr-just as an aside-did you see 5th gear tonight-VBH had a couple of very good points in her piece on the TVR........

and as for drivers - again, women have always been perceived as careful drivers, enjoying lower insurance premiums.

Bigpikle. So now we know, or do we? When I was a keen motorcyclist, we had smilar stats, but mileage is important, I would guess that 20-30 year old women drive considerably lower mileage than similar aged men, so obviously less risk.
I don't do anywhere near the mileage I used to do, probably only 10-11000 per year spread over 2 cars. This allied to 50 years ncb must look a good risk to an insurer, and only one no blame accident on the bike. Most women around here drive 400 yards to the school and back twice a day, but the roads are empty this week 'cos it's half term. Who said the school run forms 7% of the traffic, around here it's about 60%. My Dad drove until he was 91 ( up till his death) he was a complete menace on the road, and an ex Met Police No1 driver!. He scared the living daylights out of me. I know of several of my wifes female friends who drive miles out of their way to avoid right turns.

I'm sure you're right but it scares the hell out of me watching mums dealing with 2 or 3 kids in the back of the car while negotiating roundabouts etc. I had one such woman nearly hit the back of my car 3 times recently in a queue of traffic - it got so bad i had to hit the horn every time I slowed down and I'm sure the car in front thought i was giving him a hard time!!!
I guess the point is we balance out the risk so good drivers pay for bad drivers most of the time. I'm glad companies like Esure exist as if you can get through their criteria the premiums are hugely lower than most companies.

Cheers Holly

Question - The other night at about 9pm when it was dark, on an unlit road,I pulled out from a junction thinking it was clear, only to be beeped at from a driver in the lane id just come into, the reason I never saw him was beacuse both his headlights were not working (the rear ones were)

My question is if he had crashed into me, would I be to blame or him? would I have to prove that his headlights were not working?

I stoped him further down the raod to tell him about them not working and got a whole load of abuse for trying to help, thats gratitude for you

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

mal2002
I'm sure you would have been covered, as it looks like it was a fault rather than the twit had forgotten to put them on at all. If he had forgotten he could have just said "yeah, they were on, bloke pulled out in front of me" and you would have to rely on witnesses. However I remember wathcing a police crash investigator and he was saying about brake lights-if a car/bike hits something and the driver is braking you may find the buld filament breaks in it's molten position indicating it was on at the point of impact-maybe the same for headlights.

I flashed at someone tonight with no lights on, in the dark, and the old chap just waved back at me. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh.

quote:Looking forward to a trip to the Audi factory and my first taste of driving in Germany next year.

It has gotten really bad this past 2 years over here, especially with light trucks (like MB Sprinters), who drive like madmen most of the time (just last weeks one passed me on the Autobahn with about 170 kph). You really notice over here that cars are getting faster...
I look forward to the factory visit, too...

Bye, Frido

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

I get flashed in the Volvo 'cos the lights are always on, when I found the little screw thingy to turn them off, I seemed to have become invisible, so they are back on. Frido, to prepare for the trip I bought "German in 3 months", 3 months is up and I still can't speak German. Where have I gone wrong?

Bigpikle, You forgot to mention that the Mums having all the problems with kiddies was probably on the mobile phone as well. Judging by the numbers doing it, it must be the law around here.

dont get me started on mobile phones - I reckon the worst are the white van drivers who hurtle cross country mostly at speeds way in excess of the road conditions, 6 inches from boot of the car in front, chatting on the phone and just about managing the occasional glance at the road ahead......just in case they miss the next burger van!

I just hope the police start to enforce the new law from Dec 1st and see this as just as good revenue raiser as hiding cameras behind road signs!

bigpikle
I've seen bus drivers (with passengers on board), local council drivers (should set an example), HGV drivers. I'm sure even the odd copper now and again.

All using mobiles. How did we lead our lives 15 years ago when these plastic lifelines weren't around?

quote:Originally posted by runboy

How did we lead our lives 15 years ago when these plastic lifelines weren't around?

...more safely???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back