Ongoing Starting Issue

FourtyRoy

A2OC Donor
Whilst having my ABS looked at I asked the garage to look at a starting issue that is ongoing.

I have posted on this one before and Mike was also helpful with possible fuel filter problems and mentioned this to the Garage.

Glow Plugs fine, Battery Fine, No Diagnostic failures but when the Car has been left overnight & Cold it is peculiar. The engine starts to fire a little and then the starter 'disengages' and the engine hasn't quite got enough to run up. It can take up to 8 or so attempts sometimes and then is fine (and will not miss a beat all day).

Leaving the Car with them overnight they were able to see first hand what was happening and are totally convinced my starter is not doing what it should. They believe that initially one cylinder is firing a little before the others and the starter should hold in for a few more turns to run the whole lot up but its not.

The starter is a 'pattern' one I got about 1.5 years ago, due to an Earth fault that threw me in the wrong direction, so I still have the original that I am contemplating refitting.

Anyone come across a problem like this? And should the Starter Motor stay engaged if you keep the ignition key turned?

Regards

Roy

Hi Mike on my other car, a Merc, there is a know issue like this, on these there is a fuel rail which have seals, these seals fail and let air into the system overnight which results in poor starting in the morning.

I've not been under the bonnet of a diesel A2, yet, (hopefully will have one tomorrow after brother buys one :)) so I don't know if the fuel pipes are transparent, like the Merc, which allows air bubbles to be visible in the pipes.

Hope this gives you another thing to eliminate.

SARGE

Back