open sky - is it worth it?

Just out of interest - I'm currently looking for an A2 and seen mixed reviews of the open sky roof - is it worth the extra cash? I'd be very interested on a honest opinion here.

I'm selling my merc slk and wondering whether the airy/light feel might help me get over the loss !!?? If that doesn't - I'm sure the fuel economy will !!

Personally I would say yes, provided you maintain it correctly by greasing it,spraying the parts etc. I have had no issues with mine whatsoever, and on bright sunny days it is a real plus. I also understand car is less noisy when raining due to lack of aluminium it bounces on! My children love it, the fact they can look up toward the blue sky or starry night. A definate on my wish list!

only thing that worries me is if it packs up:(, i heard it's expensive to repair? do they have a blind that closes it off or is the glass roof always visible from inside?

the roof does have a blind, it does occassionally stick, some have been known to cause real problems, but I would have another.
Glen

The Open Sky is a good extra to have. It's a larger than usual roof, a fore runner to the panorama roofs available on many marques today. The roof itself opens in two parts, the front part is the main sunroof and is leaves quite a large aperture. The rear section over the rear seats is more of a permanent glass roof and only opens but does not slide back, in anycase the front section when open slides over the rear and covers it up. There is a blind, again the front part slides back but the portion over the rear seats is fixed.

Some members here have removed the blinds completely, Skipton01 being one.

And if you do remove the blind, take great care to store it well, as a new one costs £240!!!!

Cheers,

Mike

OpenSky

Hi.

Further to the above: the opensky is a real plus. More light inside and you do not feel "claustrophobic" as in an A2 without one. Gives you the impression that the car is bigger inside + bright. Extra value added as well.
Should have kept the SLK. Big loss of value:mad:. Mine is stored and awaiting better days. Maybe in 20 years from now?:p As new if not better!!!.

Cheers,
Didier G.

Open Sky maintenance?

Personally I would say yes, provided you maintain it correctly by greasing it,spraying the parts etc. I have had no issues with mine whatsoever, and on bright sunny days it is a real plus. I also understand car is less noisy when raining due to lack of aluminium it bounces on! My children love it, the fact they can look up toward the blue sky or starry night. A definate on my wish list!

What type of grease should be used and where should it be applied? Also, since my car has a full Audi service history (which is actually only two long life services in 80K miles!) whould it be fair to assume that the open sky roof has also been serviced / lubricated?

What type of grease should be used and where should it be applied? Also, since my car has a full Audi service history (which is actually only two long life services in 80K miles!) whould it be fair to assume that the open sky roof has also been serviced / lubricated?
The roof should have been serviced, yes, but in reality, this is often overlooked by a dealer.

The best way to keep everything hunky dorey is to do things the hard way!

Basically, if it's rubber and it comes into contact with glass, lube it. Firstly, clean off the rubbers with a weak detergent solution and a cloth to get rid of the accumulated dirt and grit which turns last years application into grinding paste.

Then, using the lube of your choice, go along and apply to all areas around the opening and to the panels themselves. The back part is the trickiest and you need the hands of a gynaecologist, but persevere.

I find the best stuff to use is the silicone lubricant intended for the seals on underground pipes. It is readily applied to only the areas needed, unlike a spray and is reasonably priced too. Look for it in the drainage section at B&Q.

Once that's done, you'll have a sore finger but a roof that opens and closes like new.

Cheers,

Mike

wish i could!

Hi.

Further to the above: the opensky is a real plus. More light inside and you do not feel "claustrophobic" as in an A2 without one. Gives you the impression that the car is bigger inside + bright. Extra value added as well.
Should have kept the SLK. Big loss of value:mad:. Mine is stored and awaiting better days. Maybe in 20 years from now?:p As new if not better!!!.

Cheers,
Didier G.

Well I still have it.. but no garage to keep it in.. so sadly have to say goodbye to it !

Don't I know the feeling. It happened. Nowadays I have the space and than some. I will drive the SLK still, but would like to trade it in. Not for a piece of bread as some seems to think. It costed me an arm and a leg in 2000. Bought new. 49800€. Have all the paperwork, books and reports of all kind. Price are too low to part with it. Will see as time goes by. Don't have to sell and would rather explode the car into a wall than give it away for hardly anything, at least I know were it ends up.

Understand your point of vue. Welcome to the Audi A2 world should you decide to cross over.

Regards,
Didier

Saves you fuel too

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed before re the OpenSky's advantages. I took the blind out years ago and love it. (and left it in my last house's loft! So £240 there you go, but I will never put it back even if I still had it)

The best thing about a sunroof though is when you park your car in the sun and you can leave the roof open a smidgen to vent all the warm air out. Hardly any need for the AC to work when you get back in and in this day and age, with fuel costing what it does, every penny helps...

Personally, I really did not want an open sky...I think it goes against the whole ethos of the lightweight aluminium construction of the A2 concept...each to their own. :)

Hi kateblundell,

I do not have open sky, but I also do not have a black interior. I specified a beige interior as I liked the look of it from the brochures and do not regret it. I have sat in an A2 with a black interior and no open sky and I know what AMG means when he describes it as claustrophobic. I was gob smacked. I cannot say that my beige interior is claustrophobic; filthy in places, yes, but a good clean brings it up a treat.:)

John.

Did the one with the black interior have a black headlining too John? They are normally light gray from the top of the dash upwards.

As far as I know, there is only 1 A2 in the UK with an ALL black interior and that's mine.

With the OpenSky and blind removed, you'd hardly call it claustrophobic though.

Cheers,

Mike

To be honest Mike, I cannot remember, as it was a while ago. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. TANK IS UNIQUE!

The shock caused by the black interior colour was similar to finding a teenager had personalised their bedroom. One day it is an inoffensive magnolia and the next it is painted matt black. As I said, gob smacked.;)

John.

I know I've nothing to worry about, but I was just commenting that if you found a standard A2 with a black interior claustrophobic, you'd be even more shocked at mine!

Cheers,]

Mike

Hi ULP
Your comments are still valid but the Open Sky roof 'only' adds 35kg to the weight. Some of the other heavyweight options are - towbar 22kg, climate control 28kg and spacesaver spare 14kg. Surprisingly sports seats add 5kg, rear bench seat 3kg, luggage compartment floor 5kg, 16" alloys 3.5kg (the price list shows the weights of every option)

Cheers Spike

Gulp :eek:
We have open sky, climate, bench seat, 16" alloys (five of - I carry a full spare under the 5kg compartment floor .. oh and fat me behind the wheel, with my lead lined right boot ..... no wonder a lowly 35mpg here ;)

Back