opinions 75 v 90

andyboy

i'm looking for a tdi but have driven neither 75 or 90, i'm told by a 90 owner that it isn't worth the premium, the difference is not worth the extra cash. any opinions please? i don't want to go that fast i just want more grunt and economy than my 1.4 petrol.

Well having not driven a 90 cannot compare with my 75, but i would say when i got my A2 i was impressed of the performance, would say the 90 must fly as mine has court a few people off guard when they come to overtake as i've pulled away from them at first and give them a good run, a friend at work had a 1.9 fabia vrs and gave him a good run and was quite impressed how much i kept up with him

The character of the 90 is totally different to the 75 - the gearbox ratios are different, the clutches feel different and the handbrake is different too.

If you want to get a feel for things, have a test drive in both at a dealership - it's the only way really.

Having driven loads and loads of both types though, if all you are interested in is more thrutch and economy than a petrol, either will suffice.

Cheers,

Mike

the 90 is the only one I havent driven and I would say that you will find a 75 tdi so much more grunty... i originally test drove a 1.4 petrol and almost walked away from the A2 altogether as it was soooo toothless..... I can imagine that the 90 will be a real step up....

i'm looking for a tdi but have driven neither 75 or 90, i'm told by a 90 owner that it isn't worth the premium, the difference is not worth the extra cash. any opinions please? i don't want to go that fast i just want more grunt and economy than my 1.4 petrol.

Hi Andy

If you go for the 90 bear in mind that only 5% of the all the UK A2s were TDi 90bhp - 11% of the TDi were 90bhp. This is based on sales up until Sept 05. I have a feeling, but stand corrected, that 90 bhp models were not sold in the 2006 run out year.

So the more other requirements you have (colour, bench/separate rear seat, seat materials, open sky, audio equipment, etc.) the more difficult it will be to find one, perhaps even certain combinations of spec were never sold.

See stats in the link http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=57664&postcount=3

The alternative is a 75 with a remap - lots of threads on that.

Would it be fair to say there are really three options?

The first series 75, the 90, and the late series 75. As I understand it, the late series 75 engines are upgraded from the first ones, so it might be fair to consider them as a separate entity.

That's what I have, a 2004 Limited Edition with the late series engine, and I think it is the best of the lot. It has the kit you need (like air con) without a lot of fancy extras that are now a bit dated in some respects.

Just my opinion ... other opinions are available!

:D

valid point, are the two 75 variants eu3 and eu4 spec? what year separates these models?
i must admit there are quite a few 90's advertised currently so it makes sense to try one, i have a car to view tomorrow locally, and look forward to a test run.

The TDI75 with the BHC engine is EU4, the other is EU3.
I believe the BHC was produced from 2004.

yes it was andy that said don't get hooked on the 90 it's good but only by a small margin, the cars i've checked all come up as 90's on hpi and there's a good half dozen or so currently. i'd really like to drive both, i'm hearing the late 75 is more torquey around town?

yes it was andy that said don't get hooked on the 90 it's good but only by a small margin, the cars i've checked all come up as 90's on hpi and there's a good half dozen or so currently. i'd really like to drive both, i'm hearing the late 75 is more torquey around town?

Hi Andy,

I have had my A2 remapped by Stealth and can confirm that the later TDI 75's are potentially very 'torquey' indeed.

My figures for an 05 plate being:-

Stealth Remap
BHP 100.2bhp @ 3822rpm
Torque 213.4lbft @ 2182rpm

I totally agree with Chris, (ULP), don't rule out a well specced 75 for a lesser specced 90. This said you are wise to try both as you suggest, before you buy if you can.

Good luck with your search.

Darren

just tested a 90 tonight, it had a nasty gearbox really stiff and tricky to get through the gears, tbh the power delivery was strange very torquey but didn't actually feel that quick:eek:, almost undergeared? is this normal?
it wasn't the car for me, lovely condition but bald tyres and that gearbox:(, the owner would have taken £7500 for it, an 04/04 se with 44k miles and audi fsh. now want to try a 75 late model if poss;).

Back