Ordi A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EW1949

As far as I am concerneed the Audi A2 is an oversold over-priced vehicle. What's even worse is that the Audi marque behind the car has a reputation that belies it's below-average performance. Our A2, which we bought in Sept 2002, has had a string of problems including a faulty clutch in its 1st 6000 miles. Dealing with Finchley Road Audi is a nightmare - they are rude, unreliable and mendascious. (They even refused, at first to replace the clutch under warranty, claiming that we had not driven the car properly!)[27][27] I regret buying the car and will never buy another Audi again As soon as the 3 years is up, I will be taking the car to a local non-Audi garage for servicing. In my books Audi are no more that VW dealers pretending to be have a BMW-style franchise and they fail miserably at it!

you infer all that on one car from a poor dealer ?

I could give you first hand experience the exact polar opposite really, based on double the sample.

I agree in the sense that A2 is the least Audi like of all the models though - any of the larger cars give the impression of being hollowed out from a single piece - whereas the A2 is distinctly 'put together' - but that due to the size and kind of car it is, and it's particular design remit.

re: VW - In all the dealings I've had with my local Audi garage, not one salesman has ever tried to 'big up' any of the cars - they let them sell themselves really, beyond demostrating a few things that you take an active interest in - they're helpful, but there is no tiresome sales patter - and they never, ever offer an opinion on any other make of car - very professional imo.

The VW garage next door however... within 2 minutes the salesman was saying how 'you won't find a better built car' - which nearly had me laugh out loud. And then he starting putting down Skoda after we mentioned we were going there next.

oh well, food for thought.

I think dealers vary but even the least good experience I've had with Audi has been fine.

I've had four Audi's recently with very few problems, all fixed under warranty without a quibble. To cheer you up, here are a couple of examples of good customer service and engineering:
1) My RS4. 380 bhp from 2.7 litres (twin turbo). Engine, brakes etc all pretty highly stressed. NOTHING WHATSOEVER has gone wrong in the two years I have owned it.
2) Loan cars. My dealer recently lent me 60K GBP of Audi A8 while my car was being serviced. A logistical ****-up meant that I needed to keep it for a weekend trip from Surrey to Yorkshire - "no problem sir".
3) When I PXed my TT the proposed price was OK (residuals at that time were quite strong) but of course I tried for the best deal possible. The sales manager phoned some independent dealers and got me 500GBP more for my car. Note that this was when picking up an A4 cabriolet which had been ordered several months previously ie they weren't trying to close the deal, they had me over a barrel.

I'd try another dealer if I were you.

Cheers, Richard.

5a5bpg

2005 A2 Tdi. Dolphin with red leather.
2001 RS4. Standard 380bhp.

My comments for what their worth is that I agree that the car originally was way overpriced and not worth it, but nearly new,demo
or second hand they are much better value.
Curent pricing is more sensible as they run the model out
My car has been 100% reliable over the last 2.5 years and the dealer fantastic (although not cheap)
I always feel after being in other small hatches getting back into the A2 you do notice the quality and there is a difference
If you look at the BBC web site and readers comments you see that all the makes have lemons or Friday cars.Just look at the negative comments on the new mini.

EW1949,

Oversold? That is surely one thing that cannot be said for the A2.

You have clearly had a poor experience. However, show me just one make/model of car that can boast a true 100% satisfaction rate. Similiarly show me a manufacturer for which all franchised dealers are 100% courteous and reliable for 100% of the time, for 100% of its clients.

Be realistic. I've owned crappy cars from crappy dealers, almost everyone has. Own enough cars for long enough and you'll buy a turkey from a bunch of morons sooner or later.

I'm sure that everyone on this forum sympathises with your experience, but you'll find that you are one of a very small number of unhappy owners amongst a plethora of very happy A2 drivers. Dont take my word for it, check the latest JD Power survey.

The A2 is a cracking car. For me, all future car purchases have a tough act to follow.

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Add a "me too" to the list of satisfied owners.

Whilst I had a couple of rattly numbers at first - my London Audi garage were particularly accomodating (ordering up 2 replacement vehicles on the trot).

I realise I paid new prices on these - but I benefitted from about 12000 free miles on the vehicles that I drove in the interim period.

I would certainly give Audi a go in future (if they come up with another innovative vehicle).

Ben.

[8D]
Cracking car grommit - despite an early gearbox failure. Dealer could not be more helpful. I was going to Edinburgh for the week end. Here take a demo as a hire car will not be available until tomorrow!
A3 is similarly good out-of-the box.

Your mind is best kept like a parachute.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with a subtle, refined, pre schnoz design A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

I totally agree with ULP's comments.My 54 reg 5kmile 1.4 TDI SE 75 in Crystal Blue bought recently from an Audi dealers in South West for £10,500 and is in my opinion a bargain. Couldnt get one in the North West for anything near this figure. I have used Preston Audi for 6 years and cannot fault service etc, even better than BMW service - both make you feel that you own a superior car. I also have a 2.0TDI Golf and feel customer service is much more 'ordinary'.

r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back