Our Transporter T5 Kombi

J3FVW

Having recently acquired our 1.4 SE to replace our old VW Lupo as daily driver I thought I would share some pictures of the other VAG in our family.

Here is our 2015 Transporter T5 Kombi Highline finished in factory blackberry metallic.

We collected it brand new in April from our local VW Van Centre and the next day it was driven by me to New Wave Custom Conversions in South Wales. Being a Highline model the spec was already good coming as standard with climate control, cruise control, rear parking sensors, etc. We specced it up at the factory with dual bench seat, additional battery with factory split charging system, auto dimming mirror which also includes auto lights, electric folding mirrors, heated washer jets, and a few other extras. We also specced it with upgraded alloys but there was an error on our order which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

We collected it with the standard Colmar alloys which we didn't like and the plan was for the dealer to spec another T5 factory order with our alloys and do a swap when that van was built and in stock. In the meantime I saw some VW alloys that were only available as an option on California SE's. As a result they were only available to us through the parts department and came at an initial eye watering price but a deal was struck to bring the cost down. The wheels are 18 inch Toluca alloys and really set our Kombi apart from others we've seen in the same colour.

While it was away in Wales a full lining conversion was carried out with additional sound deadening added. We also opted for a custom sectioned Alcantara rear headlining and had the front headlining retrimmed in Alcantara to match together with the sun visors. I supplied the Pioneer F77 DAB headunit for the lads to fit during the conversion and a Focal amplifier together with Focal front and rear speakers (the rears in custom pods) were installed. We also had custom mats made and scatter cushions were made from original VW fabric to match the factory trim.

We are over the moon with the end result and the quality of the workmanship means that the conversion looks like it was done by VW on the production line. All that is left is for us to enjoy using and pampering it.....

The wiring to that amp has been done with some attention. :)

It's a lovely van. Which engine/gearbox has it got?

The wiring to that amp has been done with some attention. :)

It's a lovely van. Which engine/gearbox has it got?

It's the 2.0 102 engine - we went for economy as it's a family cruiser. It's got plenty enough power though :)

As for the amp (and all the other work) - I can't recommend the converters highly enough. The company owner Mike is OCD about what comes out of the workshop. I honestly can't pick fault with anything that has been done!

The must be plenty of "space" in the back, Darth Vader seems to fit in with room to spare!

If I had room (and the money) I would have one myself, they just seem to be the best of its type.

They look solid and roomy without looking like a (dare I say it?) van. If you know what I mean?

Love it.

Steve B

The must be plenty of "space" in the back, Darth Vader seems to fit in with room to spare!

If I had room (and the money) I would have one myself, they just seem to be the best of its type.

They look solid and roomy without looking like a (dare I say it?) van. If you know what I mean?

Love it.

Steve B

I sure do know what you mean. With all the sound deadening from the factory plus what the converter did it is so quiet that it's the equal of any "prestige" car for comfort. When you start getting into the better specced trim levels they have all the toys that top end cars have too.

I'm more than biased as I own one but it's one of the best vehicles I've driven and over the years I've been lucky enough to drive plenty of luxury motors that our MD's have owned.

In terms of versatility you couldn't want for more space. The "boot" is huge with the rear seats in but once you take them out (they are quick release) you've got the whole rear of vehicle to use. We go camping with it and there is plenty of room to spare once everything is in the back.

The other bonus is that the residuals on them are pretty incredible too. Without a doubt the best vehicle I have ever owned (sorry A2, you're a close second!)

A great van indeed! One of these in a California spec features in our retirement plans.

I took a friend's T5 to France a couple of years back. It had the captain's chairs (is that the right name?) in the back facing each other, a DSG gearbox and huge front leather seats. A fantastic vehicle to cover a couple of thousand miles in carrying 6 people.

A great van indeed! One of these in a California spec features in our retirement plans.

I took a friend's T5 to France a couple of years back. It had the captain's chairs (is that the right name?) in the back facing each other, a DSG gearbox and huge front leather seats. A fantastic vehicle to cover a couple of thousand miles in carrying 6 people.

Captains chairs are normally in the front and they swivel around to face backwards.

I guess if the rear ones also swivel around you could call them captain's chairs too, but I am used to it only being used to describe the front ones.

But you can call them captain's chairs, most people will know what you mean.

Every day I open the blinds I see a Black T5 opposite me, tastefully fitted out and I am envious!

Steve B

Last edited:
Captains chairs are normally in the front and they swivel around to face backwards.

I guess if the rear ones also swivel around you could call them captain's chairs too, but I am used to it only being used to describe the front ones.

But you can call them captain's chairs, most people will know what you mean.

Every day I open the blinds I see a Black T5 opposite me, tastefully fitted out and I am envious!

Steve B

I think you've hit the nail on the head there when you say "tastefully fitted out". I did lots of research and many emails were exchanged before I decided on NWCC to convert ours. It was a big decision deciding who to entrust with the job as I wanted the OEM look (plus it was a brand new vehicle so we needed absolute confidence in who was doing the work).

There are converters and there are CONVERTERS - unfortunately some of the lesser companies do the less tasteful modifications.

It's all subjective (and each to there own and all that) but I think some T5's can be a bit over the top with too much done to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back