Overheating

The engine overheated tonight, warning light came on temp guage went over 100, i turned the car off waited for it to go back down to 60 and drove home. The temp guage seemed to level off at around 90 on the way home (driving it slowly).

The car heater was blowing cold even though the car was hot! I had a new water pump fitted when i had the cambelt done about 6 weeks ago.

Any idea's what it could be? Temp sender? Thermostat?

You should get a VAG-COM check asap. Wack your temperature to HI and see if it still blows cool or cold air. Sounds related to temp. sensor. Now my G263 sensor is completely dead, the compressor won't turn on and it doesn't seem to like heating up for warm air either.

Check water level.Sounds like you have a leak.Normally a heater blowing cold with a hot engine means water level very low as the heater matrix is starved of water.Cheers David:(

Check water level.Sounds like you have a leak.Normally a heater blowing cold with a hot engine means water level very low as the heater matrix is starved of water.Cheers David:(
Yeah it was the water level that stopped it blowing hot, it lost quite a bit when it overheated through steam. I topped it up yesterday and the heater started blowing hot again but it was still overheating.

Ive just come back from getting it fixed, the thermostat had stuck shut.

Thanks for the replies.

Overheating diesel

I have a similar problem, engine overheats and water is lost when driven on long journeys. I've checked very thoroughly for leaks but have found none, the thermostat switches the fan on, so I assume its working ok. There are signs that venting has taken place from the header tank. I've read about distorted cylinder heads and leaking head gaskets but the engine seems powerful enough and the engine oil is not emulsified - any ideas: confused and perpelexed.

Bernard

The thermostat regulates the water temperature and does not switch the fan on. This would be done by a separate switch. Thermostat not working properly?

RAB

Back