paint wearing off the interior...

d4v1d sm4rt

A2OC Donor
Does anyone suffer from the annoyingly soft black matt paint coming off from the light switch and aircon switches and other areas ?

when this comes off it reveals the clear underneath and allows the light to shine through, really annoying!

has anyone sucessfully found a really good match touch up for this or know what is used from the factory?

Yes, I know the problem.
It's good to have an A2 before Modellyear 2002 :D then you don't have the problem.
Some one found the right color in the german forum..

Last edited:
I noticed this on the A2 I bought in September. Fortunately the garage concerned had another A2 in stock with a decent aircon control unit and swapped it for the crappy one because I made this a condition of the sale contract. Just as well because you can't buy replacement switch covers and have to replace the whole control unit - big bucks - unless a bargain one comes up on ebaY (as was the case 2 weeks back - went for under £40).

I've been arguing with Audi over this - mine went at less than 3 years old and my aarguement with Audi is that it isnt wear and tear - its poor workmanship on the product they were supplied with and they should replace it and take the issue up with their suppliers not make the customers suffer because they havent got any b@115.

I've been arguing with Audi over this - mine went at less than 3 years old and my aarguement with Audi is that it isnt wear and tear - its poor workmanship on the product they were supplied with and they should replace it and take the issue up with their suppliers not make the customers suffer because they havent got any b@115.

If you have done less than 60k and in warranty (less than 3 years) this should be covered by warranty. I had the same problem with a Touraeg sat nav - < 3 yrs but unfortunately over 60k otherwise the unit would have been swapped under warranty - as an alternative to £1800 for replacement. Bosch make parts for VW and are licensed to them hence you cannot buy single swith covers etc.

I managed to buy some modelling paint in matt black that was a good match. But I agree the rubberised finish is pants.

Try this company for mdel paint - it may be a bit hit and miss as the Audi finish is not as dark as VW. http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/section.php/796/0

mine was out of warranty so i just paid for the window switches, but if it was in warranty i would have argued that it was "not fit for the purpose" under the sale of goods act on the basis that it is not something that would reasonably be expected to wear out like a wiper blade or brake pad. Maybe you could insist that they contact their suppliers (bosch) or allow us to and make the paint available as an aftermarket touch up. It just makes a nice car look prematurely tired. Now you can argue that it is not just an isolated problem for you and your car but that it is affecting more people. maybe do a poll vote to see who else is affected.

Back