Parking sensor faulty ?

gjp33

Hi all - been awhile, but still have the little A2.

Today the parking assistance seems to have developed a fault - the normal short beep is now followed by a long high tone, and the sensors are obviously not detecting obstacles.

I imagine the most likely cause is one of the sensors has gone U/S - and before I have the bumper off, is there any way to tell ?

Can anyone advise on these vagcom cables I see mentioned - I understand I can plug it in and do some limited diagnosis ?

thanks in advance!

Your assumption is right - there's at least one faulty sensor.

A full and legal interface will tell you exactly which of the 4 it is, but a lesser (dodgy) cable may not pinpoint the fault, or even diagnose it at all.

I think the nearest VCDs-equipped member to you is Ben, also in Wiltshire - drop him a line.

Cheers,

Mike

hi skipton - good to see you're still around.. and the spec list has grown even more!

thanks for the confirmation - I presume the fact you've mentioned it means that Ben wouldn't mind being pestered, so I'll go ahead and ask :)

Yes, I'm still around - can't see me not being an A2 owner any time soon!

I am around the forums a little less often these days though, my new hobby is taking up a lot of time - archery!

I don't think Ben would mind a quick scan, if you went to him. He will undoubtedly be busy, but a scan should take no more than 10 minutes.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

Yeah - happy to be pestered. I pass Swindon 6 times a week - so happy to pop in and take a peek. Friday evening perhaps? Drop me a PM (I've cleared my Inbox now ;))

Ben

I am around the forums a little less often these days though, my new hobby is taking up a lot of time - archery!

Eek! Is it the tech that's of interest? I was always fascinated by compound bows and such like - but never took it further after bruising my inner arm the first and only time I'd used a recurve.

Can you mod bows?

B

Eek! Is it the tech that's of interest? I was always fascinated by compound bows and such like - but never took it further after bruising my inner arm the first and only time I'd used a recurve.

Can you mod bows?

B

Ha! Funnily enough, it's not the tech really, but I know what you mean. I shoot recurve and have a permanent bruise on my inner forearm (people think I/m doing drugs, it looks so bad when I have a short sleeved shirt on!). Yes, I know an arm guard will prevent this, but I can't stand the elastic around my arm, so it's a great way to learn to keep your arm bent.

There's so much modding to be done it's untrue, but, no electronic devices are allowed, so I am limited as to how much I can apply my A2 modding skills.

Got my first tournament on Sunday, a Double American (5 dozen arrows at 60yards, 5 dozen at 50 and a final 5 at 40 yards). Doesn't sound much, but when you consider that each shot basically involves me holding a 40 pound weight on my fingertips for around 8 seconds (imagine lifting a 3 stone child with your first 3 fingers alone!), then it soon takes it's toll on the arms and shoulders.

Oh, and I'm trying to get the arrows into a circle the size of a 7" single (so that'll be a 7" circle then!), form a distance of at least 40 yards whilst holding that weight.

Challenging certainly, but really good fun and satisfying when it all comes together.

Compound bows are of little attraction to me, but there are a few compound archers at our club. It's really a different type of shooting and the standards expected are so much higher, as the equipment is so much more accurate, but you really are removed from the experience, a bit like the difference between DSG and manual gears!

Cheers,

Mike

PS Sorry for the thread hijack, but you are hopefully going to pinpoint the faulty sensor now!

Back