parlez vous OBD2

nick4tl

Hi,
Hope someone here might be able to give me a pointer. I'm trying to get my head around diagnostics (my old car was a renault 4tl :) ). I know the A2 diagnostics system is based around VAGCOM but does it also speak OBD2 and if so is it CAN or K-line (iso 9141-2)?
I'm hoping to write an app for iphone that gives me mpg and a trip computer. Its based on the obduino approach. http://code.google.com/p/opengauge/wiki/OBDuinoInterface

essentially querying the MAF reading and a few others.
Thanks for any info.
Nick

hi, thanks. Its a 2002 so i guess that means CAN unfortunately. K-line would have been simpler to interface with. oh well.
Just one other point.
Whereabouts is the connector for the diagnostics? Is there one inside the car somewhere?
cheers
N

on the LHD models, it's directly under the fusebox. I have no idea where it is on the RHD ones...
you've seen the openobd.org pages?

Bret

It's under the fuse box on RHD cars too!

And all A2s interface via K-line - the CAN implementation is just for Infotainment systems.

Cheers,

Mike

Renault 4, that brings back memories of my Dads R4, rotbox and slow but roomy, good fun to drive and easy to work on. Just a shame it was French....

great news re the k line. Thanks mike. I've a bit more reading to do before i jump into this project.

I'll have nothing said in my presence against the amazing french mechanics and their wonderful renault 4:) She's 28 years old and was going strong until I dismantled her in a fit of rust eradication. Turned out she was quite sound but haven't had time to sort out a little bit of patching and full reassembly since starting college again. Currently she's in about 50 pieces across my mums garage floor. Took the whole thing apart with two spanners.
The lovely thing with the 845cc of raw power was you never had to worry about the traffic either. It was always behind. :D You also have all the thrill of highspeed at only 45mph what with the noise and rolling around corners.
anyway i digress
N

Back