Petrol MPG Economy

TallPaul

Just had an idea while driving back from work today, not sure if this has been done before...

Can everybody with an FSI or a 1.4 petrol put up their mpg/miles to a tank figures they are getting, along with the size of fueltank in your car (afaik all fsi's came with same tank size? please correct me if I'm wrong), the type of journey ie: round town, work and back, motorway slog, average distance in a journey, and what fuel you are using.

It may be useful to put up the mileage you're getting on a tank (if you remember to reset the trip counter each time) and the DIS average MPG, and along with the tank size, this should show how accurate (or not) the DIS system is!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm much more aware of economy with my A2, my prev car didn't have a trip computer, and it would interesting to know exactly how much different fuels/journey types/etc alter the mpg!

I filled up about a week ago, with BP ultimate, and have done just over 100 miles, and the fuel gauge has just moved off the "full" marker (ie no daylight between the needle and the marker), and DIS shows 370 miles left in the tank, at an average MPG of 35.8ish. this doesn't soud right some how...
I would say 85% of my driving is work and back, 6 miles round trip, then 10% DC/motorway and the other 5% general urban driving.

I think for this tank I will have a very light right foot, to see how much I can get, 400 miles should possible, what about 500??

To the TDi Guys and gals, we all know your cars have excellent mpg figures ;-), if you want to contribute then please do, might be good to know if "SuperDeisel" and journey type has any effect on mpg figures...

Cheers
TP

Last edited:
I have a 1.4 petrol and I have the small tank. I can get around 280 miles from fill up to when the petrol light comes on. dont have a computer so cant say how much I should get to the tank. I have worked it to be around 48 miles to the gallon and this is on trips to work and back 12 miles in distance each way. It also includes town driving at the week ends. Going on a long trip this week end so going to fill right up and will see how many miles I get on a long journey (around 200 miles). I would expect a good return as I dont drive that fast. Usually I am in 5th gear by the time I get to 45mph so dont accelerate quckly. I must be the slowest A2 driver around

Diesel Fuel Economy

I ran a chipped TDi SE for 52,000 miles of which about 80% was motorway driving. I recorded every fill up over the two years and it averaged 57mpg on whatever diesel was cheapest. Type of journey has a massive effect on both engine types though. Off motorway it dropped well into the 40s and even below 40 for thrashing about town tanks. It was a small tank model which I filled every 3 days at around 360-400 miles a tank. Chip by AMD with Milltek exhaust gave 99hp and 188lbft of torque. After chipping it at 11,000 miles the economy improved by approximately 2-3mpg. The car did not have DIS. I now use a TT225 for the same journey, according to the DIS it does about 35mpg but I daren't work it out to check... Just goes to show that 57mpg was by no means guaranteed if a TT will do 35 on the same run!

All 1.6FSI had the 42 litre tank as fitted to later A2s. The most I've ever got from a brim to brim was 412m ~ long journey.

Had my 1.4 Petrol for about 6 weeks now. It's got the 42L tank as far as I'm aware. Most of the driving has been around town and the DIS has averaged out around the 36mpg mark. The DIS is saying about 360 miles range from a full tank and we're getting about 320 by the time we fill up which is usually just after the 'fill up' indicator comes on. Based on this, I reckon the DIS seems pretty accurate.

We did a trip from Swindon to London last weekend M4, M25, M1 and average increased to 40.5 mpg. Average speed was about 65 so reasonably pleased with this. Reported range increased accordingly.

Bottom line so far is urban consumption seems to just better what Audi claim (34) but we're yet to do sufficient 'extra urban' miles to test the claims for this. Will report back if this changes.

Back