Peugeot 307 HDi

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philhusbands

Anyone driven one of these? I took one Exeter-Manchester-Exeter this week. It was a 1.4 diesel.

My impressions? Firstly, no turbo! This means... No power! At all! Seriously, I have nothing against slow cars, not everyone wants to fly about and with all of the cameras, who can? But this thing was ridiculous! Motorway sliproads became a worry, they simply are not long enough for this car to get up to 70mph, and I consistently found myself having to jostle with the artics' rather than flow nicely into the traffic. This car is dangerously underpowered.

The interior was, umm... OK? I mean, it was nice. They had made some effort to 'modern' the thing up inside with 'metal' air vents and center console. Only thing is, its wasn't metal but plastic sprayed silver. I'm sorry, after Audi quality and design everything else has a hard time trying to sum up!
And, aside from this, its French. Ergo it will self destruct in 15000 miles. This 11000 miler showed signs of falling apart...

Impressive though was the fuel consumption, or lack of it! I had the throttle nailed a lot of the time in order to keep the thing at 90. We started with a full tank, and the 450 miles to Manc and back down to the M5 saw it drop to about 10%. A fill up sipped just £27 from my wallet.

All things considered, I wouldnt buy one. The impressive fuel economy means that I wont be feeling sympathetic towards 307 HDi drivers, and you could pick one of these up new for £12k. But when stacked up against my A2, theres just no contest!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

I'm sure the 307 came about 5 from bottom in a recent reliability survey.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I hate to scare you but the 1.4 diesel in this model does have a turbo and it produces a massive 70 bhp! The engine is the same as fitted to the new Fiesta and I agree you hardly notice the turbo - no turbo lag or noticeable boost like the A2. The 307 is a very heavy car - 1700kg with the 1.4 TDi - compared to just over 1,000 kg for the A2 - no wonder it struggled. Incidentally a neighbour has just swapped his 307 (1.6 petrol) after two years ownership - it was in the dealer almost every other month and he was sick and tired of trying to get it sorted out. He's swapped it for a Toyota Celica!

I would rather go for a picasso-it has a revised diesel engine just in and is said to be a lot better. Cheap as chips to buy too.

Oh no, I'm turning into a David Dickenson type...argh!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

daveyjp - No way!!!! Now I hate that car. Just imagine if the turbo ever blew? Amazing...

runboy - Steer clear of those Citroen's! Cheap...and NASTY, NASTY, NASTY. A trait reflected in the dealership quality also!

Whoa! Check me out, Mr. Opinionated! I'll get back in 'me box...

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Oooooohhhhhhh!!!!! Listen to him!

Handbags at dawn!

;)

[8D]
Had a courtesy 307 HDI 2 litre when my immobiliser immobilised for three weeks. It was quick, comfortable and frugal.

The gearbox was positively frightful, the throw and cross gate distances were stellar. Made me appreciate the 'box on the A2.
However, the ride and handling compromise was magnificent!

French though but.

Cracking idea for tomorrows assembly ......... xenophobia!

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
I am the Fifth Column. I am no longer an A2 owner. The A3 TDI DSG is awesome - yoof influence - I do wear a baseball cap but NOT backwards.

xenophobia. arn't they the lights on high end BMW's?

Naw. The physical aversion to bright lights in darkness.

Tranlated in to politician speak 'common sense in running a banana republic. The current t****r could not run a raffle.

quote:Originally posted by maersk

Naw. The physical aversion to bright lights in darkness.

Ah, all BMW's with front fog lights on at all times...now I know.

Has anyone driven a C5 Estate yet ?? I'm rather charmed of it, it has active suspension and it's quite enourmous, I'm considering it as my next car. Not that I'm in the market for a new car but it's always nice to consider one :)

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

My boss has one - but he won't have it much longer. Typical French motor - Ok when going, but they tend to break down and bits drop off. His electrics are also playing up. He has been diagnosed with a back problem which the doc attributed to his car (his drive to work is up to 2 hours), he wasn't too sure but he has now swapped to his wife's car and his back problem has gone.

I've been a passenger in a C5 estate for a short trip.
The car is huge indeed. Looks bulky and 'grey', both on the inside and the outside. Couldn't get me very excited, although a good commercial photo in an ad still tends to make me think that the C5 can look okay.

On this short trip the car felt like it was hovering over the road, reacting to bumps in a slow, delayed fashion. Must be down to the active suspension. Not to my liking either, but probably very comfortable.

If I needed an estate of that size, I'd go for the Honda Accord Tourer. Or if it had to be cheaper, for a Ford Mondeo Estate.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back