Pheasant pluckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

richDADA

Stuart says I should share my thoughts on meeting a pheasant in flight at about 60. Somewhat unnerving experience : I already sent the pics and script so look up page 38 of the UK gallery.
Incidentally this is my THIRD windscreen this year (the other two developed cracks after stone punctures within 2 inches of an edge) It occurs to me that the aerodynamics of the A2 and the short stubby nose must mean that the windscreen is more vulnerable to chips from flying stones (not to mention pheasants!) or maybe its because I do about 25K miles a year in the A2! Plus 15K in my TT. Other's experiences please. I dont seem to have the same trouble with my TT (however have now traded up to new V6 as of end Nov. having waited since May!!!!! Forget windscreens, that gearbox is out this world)

Rich, I saw the pics you talk about - that looked quite a messy incident. Did the interior clean up OK?
We've done about 7000 miles in our A2's now and so far haven't had one chip on the windscreen. Not a lot of motorway driving though, mainly commuting on A roads & the odd trip to a social.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Hi Rich,

OUCH!!

I've had stones hit the windscreen, seems to only happen on motorways but they seem to glance off the windscreen, maybe it's the angle of the screen or maybe I've been lucky.

However, within an hour of picking up my 1st A2 a couple of years ago I was on the motorway when a stone (looked like a boulder to me) flew off the back of a tipper lorry, bounced off the road in front of me and hit the bonnet just behind the vents, again glancing off the windscreen, needless to say it left a dent in the bonnet but it just marked the windscreen.

I had a friend who hit a pheasant in similar circumstances to you but he was on a motorbike, dislocated his shoulder!!

Regards
Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

[14]
With you all the way with the DSG box - sensational.
What is the box service interval and does it run on monkey blood?

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

Maersk, long-life service says its 40000 ks, same as the Haldex: manual has seven pages on how to use it but nothing on what to put in it! Back to A2s I'm still trying to obtain a towbar - I'll show the bl**dy pheasants - with a field gun!

Thanx rich. I'll bet its monkey blood. 40k is about 28k miles? There must be a filter above the box looking at an exploded view?
Whayt is it like creeping into garage or parking spot?

Garage is full of junk so dont use it : and I fitted 'acoustic parking sensors' on the rear (which I also have on the A2, bought second-hand) For something that I always used to think was a fitting for 'wusses', its the most useful after-market device invented. You can get into spaces that are only a foot or so longer than the car in less than three 'goes'!! Rear end in first of course!!

I am with Richard, have a Mondeo Ghia demonstrator at the moment, fitted with reversing aid, and you can park six inches away from something you cannot see. Will almost certainly have them on the next car.

Even better - the beep annoys SWMBO!

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

I have them already on my wife's new Corolla and they are amazing and make reverse parking almost a pleasure. I am very intrigued as to how easy they would be to fit yourself on the A2 though.

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE:http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk1.htm Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

A2OC Website | A2OC Forum | Join the A2OC!

Ian, & Stuart D: The reversing aid 'beep' on the A2 is fine as I understand that it was an original factory-fitted option, but the beep on the TT sounds like someone strangling a chicken, and was retro-fitted by the Audi agent Listers in Stratford as it was cheaper that way and avoided (further) delivery delays. They cost about £450, plus fitting and VAT which with colour coding of sensors totalled £810, What the hell, its a nice new car!!!

Correction Sorry: the actual cost is about £400 fitted with colour coded sensors (the bill I was looking at included the GAP insurance!)

I retro-fitted mine on the Volvo, I specified them on the A2, and on Peters Nissan. How can you live without them? I believe the ones I bought for the Volvo were about 200 quid, I've seen them much cheaper but don't know what the difference is.

The difference is probably the looks. Some standard fit park sensors are almost invisible (VW, Audi etc) but some look horrendous (certain Mercedes), like 4 big rubber grommets stuck on the bumper. The cheaper end of the aftermarket products will probably look like these and won't have the finesse of operation of the higher end products.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

I too have noticed the windscreen thing. Am on my third windscreen in 24000 miles. Never had to change one in my life before this!

Shaf,

Very nice system. Requires almost no installing. Downside is that the corners of the car aren't protected.
But this will work excellent in most occasions.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis, yes I thought so. It seems relatively easy to install and quite reasonably priced.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back