Plastic spare key

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Hi just a question been PDI'ing cars this last week and it came up about the plastic key having the imobiliser transponder in it,

So my question is does the plastic spare for the A2 have the transponder in it? If this is yes i guess this part would be to Mike or Sarge (as they are the 2 that i know that re-programme keys) can you add this to the number of keys ?and so alowing you to carry this in your wallet so if you lock your keys in the car it will open but also allow you to start the car as well ?

Sorry the pic is small will post a bigger one later ;)

Cheers Phil

It does have a transponder in it, but it is of limited uses - maybe 10 or so. After this, it will open the door, but not start the car afaik.

Pamanal21 has the best idea - get a spare blade cut - drill it and keep it on your household keyring, or in your wallet, whichever you normally keep on your person.

Cheers,

Mike

PS The plastic key was only issued with the earlier A2s and would be already coded to your immobiliser if you had one.

Last edited:
The new Audis with very new style key (push in the dash), have a blank that goes in the glove box and you keep the key part on you, so if you loose your keys you get the holder from the glove box, slide the spare key into it and it will allow you to start the car, doesn't say anything about limited use, so will that still work then Mike if you have reprogrammed the keys as you did with mine ? did it not effect that key ?

Phil

I'm unsure of what you mean Phil - I programmed a new key and your 2 existing ones to work with your A2, 3 in total.

Are you wanting to add one of these little 'valet' keys on to the system as well?

Cheers,

Mike

I was just putting up the question does it work and after having the keys programmed would it have deleted that one off the list, which with your answer that would be yes.

I have both, the plastic valet key and a spare metal blade. It was just something i had not thought that would do it just thought it was a key just to open the door or take a re-cut from (but the can't use the plastic one for a re-cut)

Phil

Ahhh, so you had a valet key but didn't bring it to be coded in when I did the other new style one?

If so, it'll not work to start the engine, but can be added to the car when I see you next, but you'll need to bring ALL the keys, old, new, previously coded - whatever.

I was getting confused by the mention of the new, push-in keys.

Cheers,

Mike

Ah that valet key was on the old keys. No what had been happening was some of the people doing the PDI's on the newer Audi's with this style key was fitting the spare into the holder and putting it in the glove box, not realising that it starts the car, so it was just something we was talking about when i started doing the cars (as i had always pulled the spare and holder out of the car) didn't notice the clip for the holder in the glove box

So its ok Mike i haven't gone and tried fitting the push style key (don't like them) the clip that holds the key in place breaks, which then the key can be pulled out leaving the engine running. Plus as i found out when i had the courtesy car for that week, if you stall its a pain to start again

Phil

It does have a transponder in it, but it is of limited uses - maybe 10 or so. After this, it will open the door, but not start the car afaik.

I don't think there is any limit to the use of this key, you should be able to use it however many times you want to with reference to the immobiliser just like the normal key. Although the strength of constant use on a plastic key is another issue.

Cheers

Sarge

I was told it was limited use by the dealer when I bought my first A2. He could have been talking rubbish, wouldn't be unheard of from a dealer I suppose, but in any event, as you say Sarge, the plastic blade will fail sooner rather than later, even if the transponder continues to work.

Cheers

Mike

Back