Polite people of london ?

Rich.

A2OC Donor
Today I was in london waiting to turn right at a crossroads and our light was on green and the other traffic was going straight, on the other side, so was waiting for a space to cross over...

There was a pedestrian crossing (green man thingy lights)... and my car was half way across the crossing area (which people shouldn't be using when its like green for cars)!

Anyway I heard this booting of the car, and noticed this guy kicking the back of the car because I was blocking the crossing?

Normal people do this in london? luckly no dents well can't see properly in the dark :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It only serves to reinforce the stereo-type - good job it wasn't me in that position as he wouldn't have reached the other side of the road!

Cheers,

Mike

Today I was in london waiting to turn right at a crossroads and our light was on green and the other traffic was going straight, on the other side, so was waiting for a space to cross over...

There was a pedestrian crossing (green man thingy lights)... and my car was half way across the crossing area (which people shouldn't be using when its like green for cars)!

Anyway I heard this booting of the car, and noticed this guy kicking the back of the car because I was blocking the crossing?

Normal people do this in london? luckly no dents well can't see properly in the dark :rolleyes:

Living in central London for the past 10 years, I can confirm this. Such pace of life, everyone fights for the road, especially during the rush hours. Once I was riding my Vespa, going between lanes of standing traffic as you do ;-). I got the verbal abuse when a stupid pedestrian was running through the almost standstill cars, needless to say it was red for the pedestrian.

There was also another time near St. Pauls, a guy decided he would run through the 3 feet gap between two double decker buses (no one could see him) and on to the inside lane where he thought there would be no cars. I was on the Vespa, he caught my steering, so bike went one way and me flew straight ahead for 4 feet before landing on tarmac for another 5!

Take extra care when driving in London. Cyclists, many of them don't even know what is highway code, often run red lights, not yeilding to pedestrian crossing, ride in the wrong direction, ride on pavement, turning everywhere when there is a no-turn sign. You name it, I've seen it. Worst is when road is tight and they will do anything to squeeze to the front at the lights, so scratches on side panels or hitting your wing mirror.

As for pedestrians, when their light is green, they would look left and right for on coming traffic. But just when it turns red, somehow they think it is the last chance to cross and would jump right into the road. I can have a collection of videos on youtube for this sort of thing.

[rant finished]

London.

I have to agree with all of the above comments, if i could sum up the driving style in London in two words it would be....Wacky Races!!

I have experienced it as a pedestrian and a driver, like someone before mentioned about the cyclists, they are a law to their own and don't bother with traffic lights, to them it's just go go go.

When traveling towards London from Norwich i tend to take a right when i hit this big ring road, called the M25 i carry on around this road until i need to get off on my exit, i feel relieved not to have gone inside this ring of death!!

Jamie

I'm off down there tomorow, nice run out for the A2.

Heading to the 'hotel' in the Kings cross area ( don't ask, 3 lads sharing one room, Travelodge) :D:D Then heading over to Camden to see The Stranglers 30th anniversary gig at the Roundhouse.

Gig of the year !!! :D

Never had the problem richard describes but have expericend road rage with taxi drivers thinking they own the road they just pull out/push in regardless.

Last time i worked in london i found parking the problem as the nearest carpark i could fit my van in was 2-3 miles from where i was working. The b&b i was staying at had no parking. I had to wait about 45mins to get a space in the car park so once i was in i left my van there for the 3 days and got the bus to where i was working and the tube to the b&b.

London, how i hate the place.
I have to go to the Guys and ST Thomas hospital and in about three weeks time I have to go to GT Ormans ST hosp so are there any car parks very near to these places and if so how much for about 4 hours or would it be better going on the train??.
Mind you I always get lost from Liverpool st underground to these hospitals, hell I think I'm breaking into a sweat already.

I was about 2 foot on the line and the car behind me was over it but he walked behind mine and plus they shouldn't be walking when its the red man

Ahh, that great work of fiction, the Highway Code.

If only pedestrians stuck to some sort of rulebook too - in America, they'd have been booked for jaywalking!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Back