Polo Axle Swap - Yes, It Can Be Done!

TomE

Good Afternoon Folks,

Here is some useful information for anyone suffering from badly corroded rear beam axles. Apologies in advance; I didn't think to take many photos while undertaking this project.

I recently acquired a 2002 1.4tdi, from a pal of mine, who was going to scrap it. On the surface it looked to be in pretty good condition (don't they all!), but once I got it home and gave it a good looking over, it became obvious that most of the steel suspension components should not have passed the last MOT. Of particular concern, the mounting points for the rear shock absorbers, on the beam axle, had the structural integrity of wet cardboard.

Up to this point the car had cost me basically nothing, so I took the decision to throw a little bit of money at a suspension refresh. Most parts were pretty easy to source through ebay, Euro Car Parts etc, but the rear axle (being beyond saving), was a different matter. I found a couple of used examples on ebay, but these were located in Europe, with a hefty shipping bill and no guarantees that they were any better than the one I already had. I also took a look at a couple of examples that were being broken locally and both of those were equal to, if not worse than, the one I started with. Of course, I could have left it up on axe stands for a few months to wait and see if a good used example would come available, but I decided to look for a better fix.

I had read a couple of threads on this forum, where people were discussing a Mk 4 Polo axle as a possible replacement. However, so far as I could tell, nobody actually seemed to have attempted it. With no better options available to me at the time, I decided to take a chance on a Polo axle, which I found in mint condition on ebay. Including shipping, it was a £140.00 gamble.

Now at this point I should probably disclose that I am not your regular hobbyist mechanic. I'm actually an experienced mechanical engineer, with a background in aerospace engineering, so I did have the skills and knowledge to make informed decisions at all stages so of this project. Once the new axle arrived, I set about measuring every conceivable dimension and angle and then comparing it to the original (where enough of the original survived to be measured). The results were certainly interesting. To all intents and purposes, the vast majority of dimensions / angles were basically identical (plus or minus the thickness a coat of paint). I did however identify three key differences between the two axles:

1) The bracketry and mounting points for the brake pipes / hoses is (understandably) quite different. Of specific note, the A2's brake hoses are both routed along the L/H side of the car, joining the beam axle together, through the same bracket. On the polo, the brake hoses join separately, one on the left and one on the right. It was not particularly complicated to grind off the un-wanted Polo fittings and tack on some suitable replacements, replicating the mounting points from the A2 axle (sorry, no pictures). Note: These axles are oil filled (to prevent internal corrosion) and made from surprisingly thin steel (especially along the concave rear face). Great care should be taken when welding anything onto these, so if you're not a great welder, I strongly recommend you pay someone competent to do it for you.

2) The spring seat on the A2 features an additional tubular projection, which helps to locate and retail the base of the spring. I did seriously consider leaving this as it was (its ok on the Polo, right?), but I figured that Audi must have made this change for a legitimate reason. I ordered a length of mild steel tube from ebay (47.6mm OD, 3mm wall), which was an absolutely perfect fit for the hole in base of the spring seat, and simply welded it on, around the base. (see picture).

3) It seems to be well known what the A2 and the Polo use quite different forward bushes on the beam axle. These bushes are also fitted the opposite way around (i.e inboard to outboard on the A2 and outboard to inboard on the Polo). What isn't widely discussed is the fact that the aperture for the forward bushes is approximately 5mm narrower on the Polo, vs the A2 (difficult to be super accurate due to the corrosion on the A2). I honestly thought this was going to be a show-stopper, as the placement of these bushes would affect the geometry; Even I wasn't confident about the idea of cutting and re-welding these items. However, luck really did turn out to be on my side with this one. I had already struggled to track down any genuine A2 bushes (they seem to be getting quite scarce too), but had instead ordered a set of Powerflex PFR85-610 polly bushes. Although these items are listed as compatible with both the A2 and Polo, this kit is clearly intended primarily for use on the Polo. When they came, the Poweflex bushes featured a deeper shoulder (5mm deeper), which, when orientated inboard to outboard, exactly compensated for the narrower housing and placed everything exactly where it needed to be. In fact, everything lined up so perfectly, I struggle to believe that these bushes would actually fit a standard A2 axle without modification (do people usually cut some material off the shoulder of the bush or something?)

With these modifications made, the axle went straight back on, with all of the holes lined up nicely etc. The following week we took it in for a laser wheel alignment and an MOT, both of which it sailed through, without any problems. I have to say the car seems to handle very well and so far, (600 miles later) it does not appear to have suffered any ill effects from my gene-splicing experiment.

So, can you fit an Mk 4 Polo axle to an A2? - Yes, you 100% can!

Is it easy? - Yes and No. You're not going to be able to throw it straight on like an original part. It is going to require a little bit of modification including some welding and fabrication of brackets etc. However, when you think of the effort involved in removing the rust from an original, then treating and re-paint it, I don't believe it is a bad investment in effort. Of course, I've now got a (basically) brand new rear axle, which should last at least another 20 years.

Attachments

• Bush Housing.jpg
    Bush Housing.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 179
  • Spring Seat.jpg
    Spring Seat.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 178
Wow this is going to go down a storm! Does it matter about disc or drum axle, i.e can you use the polo one on drums if its disc or does the polo one have to be selected for drum disc aplpicaton?

You have just mad eeveryone happy about keeping their A2s with this work Sor, great effort. And thanks for posting the info. Some photos of the weelded brake brackets would be good form under the car. Awesome, I epxect ebay to sell out of axles by the weekend.

Wow this is going to go down a storm! Does it matter about disc or drum axle, i.e can you use the polo one on drums if its disc or does the polo one have to be selected for drum disc aplpicaton?

You have just mad eeveryone happy about keeping their A2s with this work Sor, great effort. And thanks for posting the info. Some photos of the weelded brake brackets would be good form under the car. Awesome, I epxect ebay to sell out of axles by the weekend.
No, it shouldn't make any difference. I've got drums on mine, but the Polo axle came with the horns for discs - they don't get in the way, or make any difference, so I left them on.

Regarding the bracketry for the brake lines, they do say a picture is worth a thousand words, but unfortunately, like I said before, I didn't think to take many while I was undertaking this project. I've attached what I do have, and I've taken another one from underneath, just now. Sadly, without getting it up onto a ramp, I can't really do the job justice.

The first two pictures were taken while I was mocking up the new brake lines in my workshop and the finished article did differ slightly from what is shown. Basically, although the little threaded studs are in slightly different locations, I found that the old clips could be swapped over, and the brake lines could be installed onto these (albeit by a slightly different route from the original).

In the first picture you can also see where I've ground off a couple of unwanted Polo brackets on the R/H side. The whole thing was subsequently stripped apart and given a fresh coat of paint prior to final fitment to the car.

In the second picture, you can see the surviving polo bracket (on the R/H edge of the frame, painted in gloss). Inside of this, I welded an extra lump of mild steel, which I then drilled and tapped with a couple of (I think) M6 holes. I then fabricated a little flat plate to carry the brake pipes / hoses, which could be screwed onto this (as per the third picture - R/H side).

The two clips that hold the R/H brake pipe, along the inside of the valley, were tricky. I wanted to re-use the original clips (I really can't think why I convinced myself that I must do this), but trying to weld those little treaded studs into the bottom of that valley seemed like a massive faff. Instead, I cut up a couple of bits of 5mm steel bar, drilled and tapped them (to accept a little machine screw), and tacked them to the lower edge of the valley. Then I simply drilled a hole through the old clips and screwed them on. NOTE: As I mentioned in my first post, the axle is oil filled, so do not drill directly into the axle for any reason.

Hopefully that all makes some sense. Ultimately, there will be some fabrication required, so my advice would be to attach the brake lines by whatever means works best for you.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 170
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 166
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 174
Regarding the bracketry for the brake lines, they do say a picture is worth a thousand words, but unfortunately, like I said before, I didn't think to take many while I was undertaking this project. I've attached what I do have, and I've taken another one from underneath, just now. Sadly, without getting it up onto a ramp, I can't really do the job justice.

The first two pictures were taken while I was mocking up the new brake lines in my workshop and the finished article did differ slightly from what is shown. Basically, although the little threaded studs are in slightly different locations, I found that the old clips could be swapped over, and the brake lines could be installed onto these (albeit by a slightly different route from the original).

In the first picture you can also see where I've ground off a couple of unwanted Polo brackets on the R/H side. The whole thing was subsequently stripped apart and given a fresh coat of paint prior to final fitment to the car.

In the second picture, you can see the surviving polo bracket (on the R/H edge of the frame, painted in gloss). Inside of this, I welded an extra lump of mild steel, which I then drilled and tapped with a couple of (I think) M6 holes. I then fabricated a little flat plate to carry the brake pipes / hoses, which could be screwed onto this (as per the third picture - R/H side).

The two clips that hold the R/H brake pipe, along the inside of the valley, were tricky. I wanted to re-use the original clips (I really can't think why I convinced myself that I must do this), but trying to weld those little treaded studs into the bottom of that valley seemed like a massive faff. Instead, I cut up a couple of bits of 5mm steel bar, drilled and tapped them (to accept a little machine screw), and tacked them to the lower edge of the valley. Then I simply drilled a hole through the old clips and screwed them on. NOTE: As I mentioned in my first post, the axle is oil filled, so do not drill directly into the axle for any reason.

Hopefully that all makes some sense. Ultimately, there will be some fabrication required, so my advice would be to attach the brake lines by whatever means works best for you.
Tom, could the polo pipe brackets be used with a pipe mod or extension on the A2 underbody pipes. Was Hand brake cable routing ok . Asking as had sub frame spring mount failure last week..

Tom, could the polo pipe brackets be used with a pipe mod or extension on the A2 underbody pipes. Was Hand brake cable routing ok . Asking as had sub frame spring mount failure last week..
Hi Blueball,

Sorry for the slow reply.

As described in my earlier posts, I did actually manage to make use of most of the original polo bracketry, albeit with a bit of modification and some new brake pipes. I reckon your biggest headache is going to be finding a way to effectively attach the longer of the two pipes to the axle - I think I made hard work of it by trying to copy the original routing, along the inside (concave) face of the axle, and in hindsight it might have been easier to just run it over the top or along the bottom. In either case, I would suggest you will also need to re-make the brake pipes to fit your chosen solution.

Personally, I don't think there is anything to be gained by modifying or re-routing the underbody pipework; you'll end up having to make four new pipes instead of two and you'll find it difficult to attach any new brackets or pipe clips to the underside of an aluminum car without drilling holes (which always comes with potential pitfalls). At the end of the day though, now that you know the axle is going to physically fit the car, you can re-work the brakes by whatever means work best for you.

The handbrake routing is basically identical on both cars and no modification was required. I did however take the time to replace my handbrake cables while everything else was apart, as they were really starting to show their age.

Tom

@TomE Do you have a parts list with part numbers you could share that you used?
Hi Irisha,

Apologies for the slow reply.

I'm afraid I don't really have a lot of part numbers I can give you, but the following may be of help.

The axle was a 6Q0 500 051 AS (although I think any variation of "6Q0 500 051" would do).

The bushes were powerflex PFR85-610's.

I re-used as many of the attaching parts as I could.

All replacement attaching parts were OEM quality A2 parts (mostly febi by preference), as per the part numbers here: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a2/a2/2001-248/5/500-500020/

I also used a quantity of cupronickel brake pipe, some standard brake fittings, and some mild steel bar stock, but nothing that I have part numbers for I'm afraid.

I did have difficulty tracking down a couple of the bolts. I could not find any stub axle bolts at the time, and ended up replacing mine with N90758902's, from a Mk II Golf.

I also couldn't get hold of the upper bracket bolts (No. 10 on the diagram), or any good alternative. In the end I opted for a set of Grade 10.9 M10 x 90mm bolts (which really aren't ideal) from here: https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/search.php?search_query=SEHX109SMC10X90 .

A big word of caution on using alternative bolts: Most of the bolts on the A2 suspension are stretch bolts, therefore fitting and torquing unsuitable alternatives may cause damage. If you absolutely have to opt for a non-stretch bolt as an alternative (such as the M10's described above), you must not use the Audi torque figures, which are intended for stretch bolts (i.e. X nm, followed by Y degrees). I used a standard torque for the M10s, but I will leave it up to the individual to calculate / look-up a figure for their own vehicle. I do not want to take responsibility for any unapproved data, but standard torque figures for different grades / sizes of bolts are freely available via google.

I hope that is of some assistance.

Tom

Great work @TomE .
Regarding the oil-fill of the axle; do you have more details; are they fully filled to 100% or more like sprayed with cavity wax on the internal surfaces? I am curious to understand this better. Have you located a plug somewhere which was used at filling or how could they have managed?
How did the oil-filling info reach you?

It would be kind if you could Illustrate or further describe where the 5mm mismatch was found, I didnt quite see it in front of me.

Great work @TomE .
Regarding the oil-fill of the axle; do you have more details; are they fully filled to 100% or more like sprayed with cavity wax on the internal surfaces? I am curious to understand this better. Have you located a plug somewhere which was used at filling or how could they have managed?
How did the oil-filling info reach you?

It would be kind if you could Illustrate or further describe where the 5mm mismatch was found, I didnt quite see it in front of me.
Hi Joga,

I only realised there was oil inside when I cut the old one in half, ready for the scrap man. I don't think It was absolutely 100% full of oil, but there was an appreciable amount, which left a surprisingly large puddle (perhaps 250-300ml at a guess). I'm afraid I've got no idea how the oil is inserted.

The housing for the upper / forward bush is 5mm narrower on the Polo axle vs the A2 axle, as illustrated in the first picture of my first post. The A2 bush housing is roughly 65mm wide (accounting for a lot of rust), while the Polo axle is a shade under 60mm. I found the Polo bush kit from Powerflex (which has a substantially deeper flange than the original A2 bushes), compensated for this difference and allowed the axle to fit nicely under the car.

I've now put about 2,500 miles on the new axle and it seems to be completely fine. I've been under the car a couple of times to check that there's no unexpected contact, chaffing or similar and you honestly can't tell it's not just a standard A2 axle.

Tom

Thanks @TomE, the 5mm dimension issue got clearer.
My interpretation:
1. Bush housing = the steel cylinder welded to the beam, into which the bush is pressed
2. The length of the bush housing is different (approx 5mm)
3. You pressed the new bush from the inside
4. The thicker collar of the polybush means that the center metal tube of the bush will be located so to maintain the A2 original distance between the inner ends of those center metal tubes of the left and right bush (gush do I wish I had made a sketch instead)
Would you guess that the original Polo bush would have given the wrong distance?

Thanks @TomE, the 5mm dimension issue got clearer.
My interpretation:
1. Bush housing = the steel cylinder welded to the beam, into which the bush is pressed
2. The length of the bush housing is different (approx 5mm)
3. You pressed the new bush from the inside
4. The thicker collar of the polybush means that the center metal tube of the bush will be located so to maintain the A2 original distance between the inner ends of those center metal tubes of the left and right bush (gush do I wish I had made a sketch instead)
Would you guess that the original Polo bush would have given the wrong distance?
Yes, you are correct on all points.

The original A2 bushes (if you could even find a pair) would not line-up correctly if fitted into the Polo axle.

Is this the one you have fitted?
This one says for disc brakes, but they must do a drum brake version also.
Yes, that certainly appears to be the same type I used.

As already mentioned, these axles will accept both drums or discs.

As a quick update, I've now driven 12k on the Polo axle without any issues.

Yes, that certainly appears to be the same type I used.

As already mentioned, these axles will accept both drums or discs.

As a quick update, I've now driven 12k on the Polo axle without any issues.
I've contacted them, if it is the company above.
Very unhelpful.
I asked them if the did a drum braked rear axle for a Polo 9N. First they wanted the registration number to check. Fair enough.
I explained to them it's for an Audi A2, but a Polo axle fits. They came back and said we can't supply an axle for an A2.
I then reiterated that a Polo axle fits an A2, but I just needed to know if they do a drum brake version. They replied with, we can't supply a drum brake axle.

Is it just the drum back plate that differs between the 2?

I've contacted them, if it is the company above.
Very unhelpful.
I asked them if the did a drum braked rear axle for a Polo 9N. First they wanted the registration number to check. Fair enough.
I explained to them it's for an Audi A2, but a Polo axle fits. They came back and said we can't supply an axle for an A2.
I then reiterated that a Polo axle fits an A2, but I just needed to know if they do a drum brake version. They replied with, we can't supply a drum brake axle.

Is it just the drum back plate that differs between the 2?
I suspect their problem is one of liability. They can't, knowingly supply the wrong part, as that would make them liable should anything bad happen. Their public liability insurance would not be valid.
Best to be economical with the info you give to suppliers.
Mac.

Reactions: TFG
Agreed Mac, but I couldn't give them a Polo reg no. And I wanted to know if the do a drum brake version. As the advert says for "disc brakes only".
Clearly they don't know their own product.

Back