Poor starting diesel (again)

get1962

Hello all

Back in Apirl, I asked for advice with poor starting of my 2001 1.4Tdi http://tinyurl.com/6cj4td I have put up with the (intermittent) problem over the summer months, but it is now back with a vengance & usually takes between 15 & 20 seconds of cranking before springing into life.

I have changed the fuel filter and glow plugs to no avail but whilst changing the cam belt, my friendly mechanic pointed out a diesel leak from the fuel/vacuum pump at the top right hand side of the engine as viewed from the front.

He has priced up a replacement pump @ £175 plus VAT.

What does the panel think? Is it likely to sort the starting problem? and is it a reasonable price?

Finally, whilst changing the cam belt, I know he has also changed the tensioner. I dont know about the water pump, does this come as part of the kit? or does it need to be ordered separately?

Many thanks in advance.

GET1962

The water pump is a seperate item, but is only a five minute job and easily done whilst doing the cambelt at the same time.

Stafford Audi, through ebay do a cracking deal at the moment £275 i think for the cambelt change and an extra £40 ish for doing the water pump at the same time

Hi GET1962
Price of the replacement fuel/vacuum pump sounds about right. No internal parts are available separately so if faulty, the whole unit needs replacing. The pump uses fancy gaskets for the cyl head interface so I'd make sure these are sealing correctly before paying for a pump. If fuel is leaking out from the joint then air could enter the system when the engine is stopped allowing fuel to drain back to the tank, causing the system to loose prime.
If this was the case, the longer the car is stood, the worse its likely to get

Let us know how you get on

Cheers Spike

Back