poor transit van a write off!

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

ive not had much luck lately with cars/vans so please move to relevant section if need be :)

unfortunately for me i was in an accident yesterday in my transit van as a women not stopping or looking, smashed into the side of me(glad it wasnt the audi because it wouldve been a gonner!). having spoke to the insurance company with a description of the damage etc... they wrote my van off over the phone :/ without seeing it. it has now been passed onto IMS (incident managment solutions) to uplift my van to access damage and pass judgement for themselves. i told the insurance company that i didnt need a van as replacement as mine is still drivable but because the side door doesnt open it isnt fit for purpose (very confused) as my van is 20 years old and a kind of rare automatic SWB 2.5 td, im assuming the offer from insurance will be less than what its worth but in the hope of trying to buy back from this IMS mob at a cheap rate.

in the photo you will see exactly where i ended up when she collided with the van. although she turned her car facing the van to allow traffic to flow at the crossroad part. she has admitted liability and i have a witness to her admitting liability but i dont have any witnesses of anyone, seeing the accident only hearing it lol

the women herself was more in shock and did say she was ok at the time as she walked close by to a friends house but what was strange and i didnt even notice was when i was sitting next to her in A&E lol when her name was called out she got up and could hardly move as she had terrible back pain! not that i dont believe her but she couldve won an oscar for her performance getting up and hobbling into the doctors room lol its amazing what a couple of hours does to you from an accident! i however, have only suffered a neck/shoulder strain so time will tell if she is admitting liability or not!

apart from what happened, has anyone had any dealings with IMS??

IMAG0345.jpgIMAG0347.jpg

cheers

cammy

Last edited:
Cammy I hope your alright. Sorry to hear of this incident. I do hope you gets things sorted smoothly and get a good offer on the buyback.

thanks audi2012

i didnt mean to post this thread in carpark....dont ask me how ive done this maybe im suffering some sort of concussion lol

can a mod move this to a relevant thread as i thought i had posted this on the general section oooops!!

cammy

thanks audi2012

i didnt mean to post this thread in carpark....dont ask me how ive done this maybe im suffering some sort of concussion lol

can a mod move this to a relevant thread as i thought i had posted this on the general section oooops!!

cammy

Hi Cammy,

I moved it to this section because it is not A2 related and relates to other car makes.

Is that OK (you did say it would be ok in your message)

Steve B

sure no probs steve i wasnt sure where to post it :) you mustve been quick to move it when i seen it in car park then lol

now thats service for you lol

cammy

hi guys,

hope someone can advise me on what to do next with the settlement of my insurance claim. as you know i was in an accident last week non fault and i have now been offered the sum of £485 for my van. is this reasonable? it is a bog standard transit van 2.5 td automatic white swb. the only thing going for my van is the rare automatic gearbox and as its a N reg its 20 years old so the question is? should i accept this offer or dig my heals in and state how am i going to get a similar setup for £485? they have also offered me the van back but i lose the salvage price of £120.75 as they cant claim this back from the 3rd party. so i can have my van back less the salvage cost which is £363.25.

ive had a terrible time with motors recently as my wifes $hitty rx4 has had several problems of late due to incompetent mechanics not doing their jobs! if someone could advise me on a brake problem i would be grateful :) here is the link to the renault forum http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2142097#post2142097

its that bad the car stops on a hill and doesnt move, which im assuming is a seized calliper!

cheers

cammy

Never accept their first offer. Not being flippant Cammy but there can't be much value in an N regy Trannie mate. Try searching for similar vans online and copy the adverts to show what the van would cost to replace. I'd doubt the auto transmission rarity will make any odds to their offer.

If you've any bills or maintenance receipts to show it's been looked after that can help get an increased offer. Final thought. Would 363 quid fix the door and other damage. Probably not.

The van on ebay is a mk 5 whereas Mr Angry`s is a mk 3 - big difference in price

My last mk 5 van was written off 5 years ago and I got £2000 and I`d owned it from new with full service history :(

Last edited:
The van on ebay is a mk 5 whereas Mr Angry`s is a mk 2 - big difference in price

My last mk 5 van was written off 5 years ago and I got £2000 and I`d owned it from new with full service history :(

Aye. I'm aware it's an apples and oranges comparison given 1995 to 2001 differential. Primarily it seemed opportune someone was pitching a 14 year old Transit automatic at 6 grand.

Learn something new every day though. I'd no idea there were 3 model upgrades in the nation's most loved load workhorse between the mid nineties and early noughties.

The van on ebay is a mk 5 whereas Mr Angry`s is a mk 3 - big difference in price

thanks for reply murdo & lanny :)

i have to correct you on my transit lanny as mine IS a mk 5 :) must be one of the first versions as its a td 80 or 85bhp turbo version with auto box. i will have to scour the interweb for similar sales, to up the price somewhat to cover the inconvenience of sourcing parts etc...

it will be registered as a cat c so will lower the value a considerable amount if i do decide to sell it but i was hoping that the automatic would make it a rarity for a low milage transit just turned 100000 this week :)

i didnt want to post a separate thread regarding my wifes renault rx4 but does anyone have suggestions on a good solution to my problem?

cheers

cammy

Oops!! - Sorry - need new glasses :rolleyes:

I`d keep it then - My mk 5 has just clocked up 265000 with no major outlay since I`ve owned it, and I`ve done 220000 of those miles :)

Back