Possible problem... Judder

Lee S

When I bought my A2 6 years ago, it was an ex-demo/courtesy car, 6 months old with about 8k on the clock, so god knows what kind of abuse it had for the first few months of its life. I have had it since and have done about 85k. Ever since I have had it though, it has made a strange juddering noise as the clutch was released, mainly in 1st gear. If you really rev the engine up, it pulls away more smoothly with no judder. I was wondering if this is normal A2 behaviour. It doesn't seem to have got any worse in all this time/mileage and I have changed my clutch/driving style to help a lot. Could it be the clutch or the engine mounts maybe? It is on the original clutch. I have also noticed that the gearbox/engine mount on the lower right hand side of the engine bay has shiny wear on it, front and rear, but the rubber looks to be sound.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee
I have a 2001 TDi and the clutch take-up is very smooth.
Oil contamination is a common cause of clutch judder but even with a tiny oil seal leak the clutch would have been slipping by now. Best guess is the clutch plate is slightly warped resulting from abuse in its early life.

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike.

It is quite hard to describe the phenomenon really. It is fine under normal use with the clutch fully engaged and it is also OK when slipping the clutch, eg for hill starts etc. It is only when engaging/disengaging the clutch it occurs. If the revs are held high, it tends not to do it, but if the revs fall off a little it happens. It is almost like a clunking noise. It is worst going from first to second.

As an aside that could be related though, when I labour the engine, say in 5th gear doing only 30mph, I get the same noise. That's what led me to think it could be engine/gearbox mounts.

Thanks,

Lee

Cheers Spike.

It is quite hard to describe the phenomenon really. It is fine under normal use with the clutch fully engaged and it is also OK when slipping the clutch, eg for hill starts etc. It is only when engaging/disengaging the clutch it occurs. If the revs are held high, it tends not to do it, but if the revs fall off a little it happens. It is almost like a clunking noise. It is worst going from first to second.

As an aside that could be related though, when I labour the engine, say in 5th gear doing only 30mph, I get the same noise. That's what led me to think it could be engine/gearbox mounts.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee

Which engine is it? The TDi 90s are susceptible to issues with the dual mass flywheel.

Alan

Back