Possible wiring issue

john-wingnut

So Im driving along and my radio starts behaving erratically tuning in / out (its DAB).

I pull up at some lights to have a fiddle and notice that the interference is occurring when I move the steering wheel, and I can also hear the whine of the alternator through the tuned out hiss.

So I carry on driving and test out moving the wheel to interfer with the radio signal and it carries on.

I get to my destination, turn the car off and then on and I get the beeps and Orange Steering Wheel on the dash!!!

The Orange wheel now keeps on intermittently appearing and it is rather annoying having my radio tuning in and out while steering.

This is obviously an electrical issue stemming from the steering, but Im not quite sure, where I should check first???

I know there is a potential steering motor wiring issue, but cant remember where to look for that.

Any ideas appreciated

John

I have full VCDS David, but thanks though. Im about to go and scan it now.

I wonder what control module the steering comes under? Im sure it doesnt have its own one???

Hi john i believe that mike skipton warned tdi owners to check the power wires and its surrounding loom at the strut top inner wing point--as there is some heavy welding that can cut through the wires insulation and become a fire risk. i will try and find the link

cheers mike

Good shout Mike. I remember this well as it was of some professional interest and had me whipping the bonnet off Ada straight away to check. Hope this isn't John's problem and its something simpler - however if it is indeed a linked matter its a fair warning for everyone to check this again.

Sorry if I've set the hares running, but safety first as Mike Mars Avatar says!!

Having read through the thread again, I have updated it to 'sticky' status so future browsers can find it easily and do the simple check described.

Last edited:
Ive had a nosey at the wiring and it appears ok, the insulation is not damaged and where it sits naturally it doesnt actually touch the body work.

Im now thinking more along the lines of a grounding issue, as the DAB aerial grounds directly to the body, and Im sure the motor for power steering is probably grounded somewhere in the engine bay.

Where abouts are the main grounding points / grounding point for power steering?

Can VCDS talk to the steering control unit, as i cannot seem to find one on it?????

Cheers

...............The plot thickens.

This morning driving to work I get signal issues again and then the Orange oil can with SENSOR by it has appeared on the dash.

Is this coincidence or has my oil sensor gone wrong....

As previous I have looked at the wires around the area where they enter the engine bay and all appeared ok. Is there anywhere else I should check regarding the new oil sensor issue. Where abouts is it in the sump?

John

Well I think I have sussed the issue.

There is a black/blue wire which serves a variety of items from fuse 38. It goes to the control module of the steering and also serves the oil level sensor.

Pulling fuse 38 flags the steering and sensor errors, so there has to be a common cause for the sporadic errors. The only common source would be connection 15a in the internal wiring harness.

How do I find where that is as it is not shown in the wiring schematics

ps fault code is 00562 G266 Short to ground.

When I pull the fuse I get an open circuit or short to + error.

When it states short to ground, does that mean its not grounding / sensor is dead?

If the above sensor is an oil sensor, I have a boxed and unused oil sensor for a 1.4tdi that was supplied by mistake for a 1.2tdi - yes they're different! You can have it for substantially less than £91!

RAB

Back