Pothole 1 Suspension Nil

Hit a pothole outside work today, at walking pace, there was a spectacular pop sound which I initially thought was the tyre bursting.

Jacked it up to find that the joint of the spring/shock absorber/body of the car is broken. There's a circular peice hanging down from the body of the car.

Does anyone have any labelled pictures/diagrams of the suspension so I can see what bit to replace.

....now to see about suing the council for the damage !:mad:

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Spike,

It's difficult to see at the moment, because its off the jack and the weights on it. (And its dark!) I don't think it was the spring more the mounting at the top. Its off to the garage for a mend on Friday !

I've been at paintshop like a 4 year old !

Jim

If the photo and caption are being interpreted correctly, I think you've broken a coil. If you've the money, it might be timely to invest in new dampers: Koni FSDs are very popular and I can testify to their performance. Weitec springs (£80 for a set of 4) are also very good and are available in both lowered and standard height settings.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Jim,

I see from your public profile that you have a 2001 1.4 petrol SE, which is the same vintage as my TDi. The standard dampers fitted around this time were a bit on the soft side. Have you ever noticed that your A2's suspension ran out of travel on uneven road surfaces? I am a fan of the Koni FSD dampers that Mike (Skipton01) mentions above. My A2 is much more able to deal with uneven road surfaces since I had them fitted. I have standard springs.

John.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. It's all fixed and back on the road now.

It had a broken spring, right at the last coil, and the mounting bearing at the top was shattered, I got some pictures of the damage !

Now where do I start with the council and the condition of he road !

Cheers

Jim

Back