Power steering and oil sensor lights

Hi everybody, I lifted the following text from another post. I have the exact same problem and codes, except the speedo still works. I've seen a few posts that mention fuse 38 and an 80amp fuse located -where? Further in the post it says it was fixed by replacing a fuse but doesn't say which one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
John

Original post:-https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/speedo-power-steering-stopped-working-at-the-same-time.29512/
Hi to everybody and forgive me for my spelling mistakes
I've tried to find similar topic to my problems, but they are all single problem, so I think this is "something new"

Few days ago my power steering has stopped working, speed gauge (mileage meter also) while rpm meter works. I have noticed that fuel gauge vary when I'm increasing the speed. Diagnostic shows the speed (if that's important)
I have two DTC codes
01309 - Electrohydraulic steering, control unit
- No communication
- Permanent

00562 - Oil sensor
- Short circuit to positive or open circuit
- Permanent

They both came at the same time. On the dashboard I have oil sensor displayed and a wheel displayed.
We had a very strong rain in a past few days and I think I squashed something on the car (is it possible?) because the road was very wet
Do you have any suggestion where I should start checking? Are these wires connected (for power steering and oil level sensor) somehow?

I'm checked oil level in the power steering can and it's OK. Maybe some fuse? I couldn't identify any broken, but I will recheck

I've seen a few posts that mention fuse 38 and an 80amp fuse located -where?

The 80A fuse is under the floor in the passenger footwell. You have to lift up the carpet, and then undo the clips that hold the aluminium cover in place.

Fuse 38 is in your general fusebox, to the right of your steering column. With RHD cars, the fusebox is installed upside down, so that Fuse 1 is the bottom right, and fuse 45 is the top left.

I'd recommend reading through this thread for suggestions as to the cause of your problem:

Here's a picture showing the 80A fuse (courtesy of @ajsellors )

Here's a picture showing the 80A fuse (courtesy of @ajsellors )

Thanks Steve for your input. I found the fuses as per instruction, they look ok but will replace them anyway tomorrow - I don't have one of those fuse removers and I guess fiddling around with a screwdriver is not best advice! I also took a few photos which anybody connected with this forum is free to use to guide others in the future.

Attachments

• 20220907_140615.jpg
    20220907_140615.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
  • 20220907_141153.jpg
    20220907_141153.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220907_141259.jpg
    20220907_141259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • 20220907_141408.jpg
    20220907_141408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • audi.jpg
    audi.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I had exactly these symptoms - a sign of an unhappy CANBUS circuit in my £1 project car. I obtained the car with failed power steering (yellow symbol) and the oil sensor symbol (as well as numerous other more subtle faults such as the warning flasher button not illuminating at night). VCDS advised no communication with steering controller among other faults. Steering fluid level was slightly low but topping it up had no effect. 80A fuse under the floor was intact. Fuse 38 was blown, and burnt out immediately when replaced every time the ignition was turned. Eventually after a lot of reading, I was advised to check the aircon pressure sensor (G65) which is behind the front bumper, by disconnecting it. While disconnecting it, the sensor broke in half exposing a mass of corrosion and oxide from years of exposure to rain and road salt - it had been shorting out inside and torpedoed the CANBUS circuit. Once disconnected fully, replacing fuse 38 brought the steering back to life. I'm about to get the a/c condensor replaced with a new one complete with new sensor which should hopefully bring the a/c back as well.

Wonder if the damp conditions has affected the sensor integrity and triggered this issue in your case too?

Changed the fuses, both were ok - changed as a matter of caution - problem still remains. It's booked in next Wednesday to be looked at but will mention the G65 sensor. It's worth noting, it was only MOT tested and serviced last week where the nearside wheel and wing inner liner was removed, so they're going to strip it back and take a look for any wiring issues.

Last edited:
Turned out it was the power steering pump that had failed. Replacement has been on for a couple of months now, all OK - a lot lighter on the steering (prior failure) than it was was. Dashboard lights all out.

Back