Power steering warning light

Hi all you knowledgable folk out there,hope you can advise me.
I drive a 2001 A2 TDi 1.4 which I have had since new and kept fully serviced etc.

Last week my power steering warning light came on as I was driving up a fairly steep hill on my way to work,at the time I couldnt find it in my manual so I ignored it especially as it didnt come on again when I re-started the engine!!

Today I was driving up the same hill again and its come on again so I guess I need to do something about it.

My queries are-what is the likely cause for it to be,how easy is it to sort out and how costly will it be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello, I've already looked at that thread.I dont have any other problems with my steering such as stiffness etc which sort of made me wonder if there is any fluid or something that needs topping up.

I thought that, that would have been checked to get you to this stage, ok in that case then , yes, check power steering fluid first then. :)

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks will do-I know I sound a bit ditzy but I just wanted to have an idea of what could be wrong before taking it anywhere and being fobbed off with some expensive repair that may not be necessary!!

Thanks will do-I know I sound a bit ditzy but I just wanted to have an idea of what could be wrong before taking it anywhere and being fobbed off with some expensive repair that may not be necessary!!

It's quite likely that as your going 'up' hill the fluid level shows below the required level,(hence the dash warning) and this is the reason why it is apparent when going up the same hill at the same degree of ascent.
May only need a few drops of appropriate power steering fluid so be careful not to overfill.

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back