Problem with Webasto heater

latipanu

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, haven't got a lot of machanicial experience, but I love my A2 and have a fair amount of common sense (sometimes!).

I have a 2002 1.4 tdi diesel and a couple of weeks ago I notices dome blue smoke coming around the front end of my car. I spoke to an independent Audi repairer who immediately identified the Webasto heater as the likely problem. We've had cold weather here lately, and I guess my wife has been cranking the cabin heater up to the max.

A few, hopefully easy, questions:

1) Is it easy to service the Webasto heater? I.e. can I easily clean it and put off buying a replacement? If so, what do I need to do?
2) Can I disengage the Webasto heater? I.e. can I take out a fuse out of the circuit board or disconnect a junction, thereby stopping the plume of blue smoke that I'm seeing?
3) If I disengage the Webasto heater will the aircon still work when the weather eventually warms up?

Thanks a million!

You can turn it off by clicking the 'econ' button on the climate control so that it lights up (this will turn off the compressor in summer, or the webasto in winter). The webasto won't turn on in warmer weather so you can ignore it during the summer. Your wife isn't to blame because the Webasto is not directly affected by the temperature setting (as long as it isn't on 'low').

Last edited:
Hi Latipanu, welcome to the A2OC.

The Webasto fires up when the outside temperature is lower than 6 degrees and remains lit for as long as required, to bring the engine and cabin up to temperature. Note that the Webasto doesn't burn harder as you turn up the cabin temperature, so your wife having the heating on max will not have caused a problem.

When it first fires up, it can be a bit smokey. It is, in many ways, quite a simple device, so I woudn't be too worried about a bit of visible smoke, especially in cold weather. There is no oil supply to the Webasto, so the smoke will just be diesel fumes.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you for the prompt replies and for the information.

As you suggest, I'll engage the ECON button.

The problem is quite bad, I think. The smoke I'm seeing is a solid plume of smoke blasting out from the exhaust hole under the engine bay, with some creeping out of the wheel arch. Also, I can hear some definite "pops" or "bangs" as I drive along.

Are there any components to the Webasto heater I can clean up in an attempt to solve the problem?

Cheers!

Back