Problems with 1.6 FSI SE Fuel Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tl36265

I have a 1.6 FSI SE which I bought from new. I traded down from a TT due to driving very high mileage and before I bought it specifically asked the saleman what the realistic MPG would be and was told around the publish figures (which are 47mpg for combined and 60mpg at 100mph.)

My car has now done nearly 4,000 miles and is doing between 30-36 mpg - this is nearly all on motorways with no luggage, just me driving and the aircon / sun roof unused. My audi garage has had it for 5 days and told me that:

- the published figures are 'just for guidance'
- my mpg is about right

There is a big gap between the 47-60mpg I was told to expect from sales (and used in the promotional materials) and the abysmal fuel economy I'm getting from the car. Helpfully, I have also been told my engine may take 40K to run in. Seeing as I bought the car solely on the grounds of good mpg I am very hacked off with both Audi (who have been no help) and my local dealership who appear to be operating the approach that they can say one thing to make a sale and another thing once they've made it. This is my second audi and most likely my last. Is my experience consistent with anyone elses?

30-36 on motorways seems very poor. I had a Focus 1.8 which was poor round town (27- 30ish), but on a motorway run would do 40-45 mpg. My TDi is doing around 45mpg on the trip to work - 7 miles all urban and in excess of 55mpg on motorway trips - 8,000 miles covered.

I have the 1.4 petrol and after 30000 miles have consistently achieved 50 mpg. My trips are usually 200 miles a day though. I also drive at around 60 - 70 on the motorway. Before the first service though I struggled to achieve 45 mpg, however your car should be more ecconomical. I would suggest when you have a long trip try driving it as ecconomically as possible over 1 trip and see what is the max you can achieve, if it is less than 45 mpg there must be a fault.

Phil

Toby,

My FSI (and I) drive 250-500 miles a week of which 95% is motorway, the rest urban areas - driven at speeds of 80mph and 30mph, respectively. Currently, the car is consistently returning 42.8mpg - with 6,000 miles on the clock, air-con on.

At speeds around 60mph, I'm getting about 55mpg. Neither set of figures are far off the quoted combined/extra-urban figures of 47.1/58.9mpg* and I don't expect to see much of an improvement on these due to my leaden foot [:I]

* BTW, 58.9mpg is at 100km/h not mph.

Your figures do seem a little low - but if you are driving at 100mph on the motorway, 30-36 doesn't sound all that bad.

With respect to run-in - I noticed economy improving from about 3,000 - 5,000 miles. I haven't seen any improvement from 42.8mpg for over 1000 miles now.

HTH

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box
ERW | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

That's petrol for you - FSI technology is based on that of PD for Diesels - but it ONLY works if you are very light footed with a petrol car - There is no way you'd get 60 mpg at 100 mph - In still air condtions on a rolling road at 62mph maybe - sell it and buy a 1.2 TDi - a genuine 68mpg at average 80mph on the Autobahns!

hee hee!

Lukas

First A2 1.2 TDI in UK
Style pack + Chorus + Advance pack + winter wheels + iRiver MP3CD

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/mar.htm

quote:Originally posted by ecoangel

sell it and buy a 1.2 TDi - a genuine 68mpg at average 80mph on the Autobahns!
hee hee!
:D
I think I'd prefer the steering wheel on the 'right' side... [8D] I guess I'd miss the OpenSky & air-conditioning as well. Otherwise I'd be tempted... [8D] Not importing the A2 1.2 and the Lupo 3L is an opportunity missed by VAG.

Forgot to ask the OP: what fuel are you running on? The figures for my car are for Shell Optimax which should be significantly better than conventional 95 RON unleaded (according to Audi, at least). I've only run half a tank of 95 RON - performance was so noticably degraded that I've not thought to repeat the experiment [B)]

I run my 1.6 FSI on regular 95 RON unleaded 98% on the motorway (every mon and fri around the M25) and consistently get better than 45mpg (and that is with speeds varying from M25 crawl up to the speed limit - or there abouts).

I am happy with this.

I've had my FSI since December ~ a dealer demonstrator with 3600m. Now done 10400m at an avarage of 43.6mpg. Daily journey is 17m each way with no town jams etc. Other miles are mainly motorways etc. Highest mpg on a tank has been 50.2mpg.

I always use 95RON from the local supermarket. Service looks to be due at 19800 at moment.

2002 FSi SE, Ebony Black with Red Nappa Leather, 17" Sport Wheels, Tinted Security Glass

Just done our first long journey(s) in the 1.6 FSI, to and from Center Parcs in Nottingham.

With a full load over the 350 miles of semi-busy motorways and B roads we averaged 47.6 mpg. This is slighly better than our old 1.4 SE and all achieved on one tank of fuel, which the old car would never have managed.

The usual average including multiple daily commutes of < mile is normally around 38-40mpg.

:( Worst I've ever seen on a tank has been 36 mpg, all short journeys over the winter.
[8D] Best I've got was 50mpg travelling at a constant 70 on the motorway

All figures using Optimax and from the DIS. Car just passed through 4000 miles.

Dave

1.6SE

I am having problems with consumption in my new 1.6 FSI, with 1300 miles in the clock

It seems the problem is the sulphur in the petrol. We have not "sulphur free petrol" in Spain.

DIS is unable to display down 7,6 l/100 37.169 mpg.

Have you tested comsumption with "SULPHUR FREE" and with "NO SULPHUR FREE"

Which is the diference?

•AUDI A2 1.6 FSI Amulet Red - Open Sky - S-Line - Alpine 7998-R + Parrot CK-3000 + TomTom2 Navigator
•AUDI A2 1.4 Petrol Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back