Problems with my A2

Debs

Hello there.

I'm new to here and thought you lovely lot could help me with some problems I have with my car. I've owned it about 2 months. Its an 05 plate 1.4SE

1) It rattles. And it is bloody annoying! Some sort of rattle from the centre console or glove box but can't track it.

2) Sometimes, it wont start first time. It turns over but have to turn off and on again.

3) It is eating up fuel. I do about 150 miles per week and it uses about a tank of fuel. Is this right?

4) It is spitting all kinds of rubbish out of the exhaust when reversing. Dripping a bit.

I recently went to the garage after I'd had it about 3 weeks and the "throttle body" and "pressure sensor" had to be replaced. I bought an Audi based on them being reliable so have I wasted my time and lots of money?!

Thanks in advanace for your help

Debs :)

Oh and also...

When it is idling (or however you say it) it sounds like a low rumble, sort of like a helicopter but very low sound. And no it isn't a helicopter above the car! Thanking you!

I just got rid of a 206 - thank god.

It had similar symptoms and my mechanic chum told me it was the hydraulic tappits.

Does it sound a bit like a diesel when it's idling?

no not really. Got rid (well blew up) a Corsa which sounded like a diesel. This isn't as bad as that thank god. Just a bit worried. It is under warrenty but just wanted to check if anyone had similar experiences or if I just have the worst luck in the world with cars!

Hi.deejaydee78.What was so bad with the 206? Just asking because my daughter is about to buy 1.4LX with 23k on the clock as her first car. Any advice would be apreciated.

I don't know if it was just a bad experience that I had in particular.

Replaced the front suspension, CV joint countless times, driveshaft, exhaust twice, faulty electrics, tappits went, plastic links between gear rod and gearbox snapped - peugeot replaced these with metal parts now.

Maybe i was just unlucky

Hi Debs,

Hello there.
1) It rattles. And it is bloody annoying! Some sort of rattle from the centre console or glove box but can't track it.

I've had 3 A2s. The first two rattled. My current one is as quiet as a mouse (and a pleasure to drive as a result). Centre console rattles are difficult to resolve - you could try removing the removable bits (heater controls/radio etc) and see if it's related to any of them. What sort of rattle? Does it sound like something bashing against something? My rattles were more creaks really - sounded like rubber/plastic rubbing against something. Try and identify the sound as accurately as possible before involving the dealer.

The other bits don't sound right. I get 350 miles per tank out of my 1.6 (which does a similar fuel economy) - albeit 75% motorway.

I'd be inclined to get the garage to check under the bonnet.

Ben

Debs, I can't help with the noises etc as I don't really suffer.

These are reliable cars, mine has done nearly 140,000 miles, and has had very few parts:

As for fuel, on mine a full tank is around £28. This will get around 380-400 miles. This is around 60 mpg. When idling the revs in mine are at 950 rpm.

Mine is 1.4Tdi SE, but I'd doing quick maths if you you achieved half of what I do, then you'd be doing 30 mpg and doing around 190-200 miles per £28, if yours isn't even doing that & it under warranty, don't hang about, take it straight back.

wilse

Hello there.
I'm new to here and thought you lovely lot could help me with some problems I have with my car. I've owned it about 2 months. Its an 05 plate 1.4SE
3) It is eating up fuel. I do about 150 miles per week and it uses about a tank of fuel. Is this right?

Hi Debs and welcome

There is a thread on mpg at http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4841&highlight=google+docs
most are diesel but post no. 22 is from Jörgen with a petrol
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37931&postcount=20
and he has posted 8 months stats on Google docs
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ptyE9FgArpQNfB7DKkgnzSg

Jörgen is getting 44 to 51 mpg but doesn't say what sort of driving he does (and it's flat in Holland!)

I hope you get your other problems sorted

Thanks so much

Thank you so much to all of you who replied. Yes it is under warrenty so perhaps should take it back to be on the safe side. If I did a 70mile trip, mostly MWay (granted M62-rather hilly) then it is using about a quarter of a tank. Just doesn't seem right when my 1.4 corsa was doing the same and that was an old S reg which it turns out the head gaskett had gone (excuse poor spelling of car parts).

So yes, I think I will take it back.

Thanks once again

Back