Problems with spring in gearbox?

iceraven

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 A2 1,6FSI with a small "gearbox" problem.

When i push the gearstick against 1 and 2 gear it wont go back to center. I have to push it back to center myself.

When i push it against 5 gear it works like normal and goes back to center.

It suddenly happen and its annoying..

Its proably a spring or something but im not sure..

Any ideas how i can fix this? :confused:

Best regards :)

I called my local audi dealer and they told me that there i s probably two springs somewhere in the engine where those wires goes in.

I have to check them first. If not i have to remove the "gearstick" cover and check for a broken spring inside. Those wires is going inside the car and not under...have anyone done that before?

I found the problem :)

There is one large spring inside the gearbox that makes the gearstick go to center. Mine was ok.

But inside det engineroom, on top of the gearbox dere is a spring that needs alot of grease. I had just had a enginewash. i greased it and now its working better.

Glad you got that sorted with no parts, i had the same problem on a Ford Focus for that i needed a new gear stick selektor (to much money) so put up with it
Cheers Phil

i noticed a problem on our a2 where it was sticking and not returning to center so i took the gaitor off and there is a secondary rubber gaitor which had perished in one section and little rubber pieces were flaking off into the ball of the gearstick causing it to stick. so i removed the secondary gaitor completely and cleaned it up and regreased it. its much better now but is still not 100% so i will grease those springs up in the engine bay now see if that sorts it.

Back