Question on intake manifold flap motor

alxt

Hi all

I'm yet another new comer to A2OC. I just bought my A2 1.6 FSI SE last week! Overall, I'm delighted with the car. To buy it, I part exchanged an old 380SL Merc which was really getting too costly to run. Sad to see the old car go, but the A2 is a relief in many ways.

Anyway, my engine management system light came on soon after I bought the car (a little suspicious, maybe, and something that appears quite common from the forum threads). I took it to an Audi dealership this week and they've diagnosed the "intake manifold flap motor" and claim I need a new one. In short, I curious whether a complete replacement of this motor seems necessary and whether anyone can suggest a reasonable parts supplier? The dealership are quoting £320 for the part.

I've searched for past threads on this topic, but only found passing mention. Apologies if I'm asking something that's old hat.

Oh, and thank you all for lots of the past posts on the forums. They've helped hugely in understanding the A2 and all it's special qualities!

Alex

Alex - did you get the flap valve motor sorted?

I've just had my 1.4TDi serviced. The engine management light has been on for a few months now and I see it has been diagnosed as the same problem - intake manifold flap motor!

I'm waiting for a quote from the parts department but I don't like the sound of £320 - although I do have Blackhorse warranty until next month, so hopefully it will be covered.

Any ideas?

James

Hi James

I took my car back to the dealer I bought it from and they appear to have fixed this under warranty. Well, at least the engine management light isn't on anymore.

The reoccurring message I've noticed on this forum - when it comes to fault codes - is the part identified as faulty helps to roughly isolate the problem and not necessarily identify the exact source of it. Sure enough, in my case the problem wasn't with the manifold flap. It was with a valve that needed replacing (not sure why). (part no. 037 906 283 D)

That may not be entirely helpful in your case. It does seem from my limited experience though that before worrying too much about replacing specific parts, it's worth having someone look carefully at the problem to try to diagnose exactly what's wrong. The diagnosis can of course be pricey but hopefully it's covered by your warranty?

Best of luck
Alex

Back