Questions Re A2 SatNav Plus and Bose Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

YipYazoo

Hello All.

As a soon to be former VW Lupo 1.4 TDI PD Sport owner (write-off, but thankfully everyone is OK), I have an opportunity to purchase a fully kitted out X-Reg (2001) A2 1.4 SE.

As you may know, the SatNav Plus includes a 5" LCD screen and Driver Information System (DIS).

I assume the above are identical systems available to most VAG family cars. And if so, I'd like to know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them. Also, how much are the updated UK map DVDs and is there anywhere else I can purchase one, besides the dealer?

This A2 also includes the updated Bose speaker system and six-disc changer. What's not clear in the brochures is if the disc slot (in the head-unit) is for the SatNav DVD only, and therefore all music CDs must be loaded into the changer?

Is the Bose Upgrade worthwhile (considering it's factory kit) and am curious if the EQ features (i.e. adjust treb-mid-bass) associated with the Audi Symphony head-unit can be done on this upgraded system? If so, what's your favourite settings?

I'm trying to get as much information about the car, and what it's like to live with, before taking a test drive. So any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

YipYazoo

The SatNavPlus is a CD based unit, the slot above the screen is for the Navigation CD only, therefore the CD´s go into the changer in the boot. Here in Germany the updated CD´s are around EUR 140. The EQ settings on the NavigationPlus are only treble and bass, there may be some more hidden somewhere... but I haven´t found anything yet.
The Bose upgrade is really good.
Don´t bother with the TV option, it is not worth the money... (the reception is VERY poor most of the time).

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Hi, Frido.

Thank you for your reply in this post as well.

I figured the slot was for the CD/DVD maps and not an additional loader for music CDs, but I just wanted to make sure.

Interesting the EQ settings are only treble and bass. Assuming I get this A2, I'll have a go at seeing if I can find any additional settings and report back to everyone.

Bose has a good reputation with most car makes, and in my old Civic Coupe, I went for the Nakamichi/Acoustic Research upgrade, so I'm expecting the same level of hi-fi performance.

Since the car is used, there isn't any choice in the TV option. Doubt if it has it, but will let you know in either case.

Thanks again for your prompt response!

YipYazoo

Currently look at an A3 with sat Nav plus & the TV option i assume it s not TV in motion and is it really that bad ?

Also i note the A3 configuration guide claims the sat nav plus sytem to be MP3 compatible, any thoughts?

TV reception varies enormously depending on what car its fitted in and where you live.

I've not heard of many happy A2 owners with the TV option (including us). However I tried out an (old shape) S4 and its reception seemed perfect - so it can work. Ideally you'd want to test drive a similar car in the area you live to see what its like.

On the SatNav front if I was buying new I'd try and go for the DVD based system , as its slowly being rolled out through the Audi range and is much more comprehensive - e.g. full post codes. I think it also supports MP3.

Dave

Dave

1.6SE

The definitive answer from Audi is that the DVD based SatNav will not be availiable in the A2... only A3 and higher. It might be possible to retrofit it, though...

The TV reception might be connected to the placement of the Antennas in the A2... but I think it is a bit overpriced... I only use it to connect my iPod to the AUX Input of the Tuner...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

It would seem likely that a retrofit is possible since the new A3 and A4 came with the old SatNav+ and are now going to ship with the DVD version (at the same price).

I've seen some comments that the switchover for the A4 was some time in January and means some guys get the DVD who thought they were getting the CD version :)

Dave

1.6SE

Hello all.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I'm not buying a new Audi A2, but it would be interesting to know for sure if it is possible to upgrade to the DVD version of SatNav Plus.

Well, heard back from Direct Line and they tell me my X-Reg Lupo 1.4 TDI PD Sport is OFFICIALLY a "write-off", so I'm off to the Audio dealer to find out if this A2 is worth a go.

Will report my findings.

YipYazoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back