Quick question about boost

dan_b

A2OC Donor
What's the reasonable safe maximum boost figure for a stock, and then remapped, 1.4TDi 75?

Hi Dan,

I made a visit to see Vince in Southam yesterday and was asking about how the remap affected boost. IIRC he said standard was either 1/ 1.1 bar and post map 1.3 or 1.4 and that would be within the limits of the std turbo (on a 75), so a raise of .3 bar.

1 bar over atmospheric (which is 1 bar) so requested boost is 2 bar

Safe upper limit is 1.3-1.4 bar over atmospheric but it is not safe to request that as boost comes in at 1800 rpm as the difference between requested and supplied is too much and ecu will go in to limp mode (turbo isn't spinning fast enough to supply at lower revs)

The A2 turbo is quite small so has quite a low upper boost limit but quite quick pick-up.

I'm trying to work out what the boost gauge on my Torque app is telling me and whether I need to apply some sort of boost correction figure to it or if my re-map isn't quite performing right - it gave me a maximum boost figure in 3rd gear this morning of 27PSI. So I guess that's 1.9BAR, minus 1BAR atmospheric, so it peaked at that point at 0.9BAR above atmospheric? That sounds pretty normal for a standard car then, but possibly low for a re-mapped car? Or maybe Torque isn't seeing the right numbers!

I don't know about the Torque app (I gave up with it a while ago), but there is a similar configuration that you have to do in the Scangauge. The HP numbers from the scangauge are just a guess, and you configure it so that it is closer to the real thing.

I thought I'd give Torque another go as some of the recent updates seem to have made quite a lot of changes. It gives interesting data on air intake temperature for example - you can easily see the impact of the intercooler on charge temperature vs. ambient, but also how quickly that changes if airflow is reduced (stuck in traffic), or you give it a prolonged period of spirited driving.
The average CO2/km emmitted per trip figure is rather interesting too (which is obviously a calculation)- really shows the impact of short journies when the engine is cold. Urgh!

The MPG (instantaneous and trip) calculator function is much improved, although it is still limited to 255MPG when off throttle/ coasting.

Back