Radiator fan not running

Ole-dk

The Radiator fan on my A2 1.4TDI 90 bhp (ATL) is not running.

I have tested the radiatorfan, OK, it can run when the yellow plug is disconnected from the J293 (Radiatorfan control module), and the black/red wire is connected to 12Volt and the Brown wire is connected to Ground.
see attached
"Radiatorfan-J293-WirePhoto-01.JPG" arrow A and B
Radiatorfan-J293-WirePhoto-01.JPG

I have no volt on the red/blue wire which is conneted to the J293 (Radiatorfan control module)
There is no volt when the ignition is off and no volt when the ignition is on.
see attached
"Radiatorfan-J293-CurrentFlow-01.JPG" arrow no 3.
Radiatorfan-J293-CurrentFlow-01.JPG
and attached
"Radiatorfan-J293-WirePhoto-01.JPG" arrow D

------------------------------------------------
Question 1:
Shall there be power/volt on the red/blue wire (arrow no 3 / D)
all the time,
or when engine is running and a while after engine has been running
or only when ignition is on or engine is running,
or only when the fan is trigged to run.

On the attached
"Radiatorfan-J293-CurrentFlow-01.JPG" arrow no 1, there is a 40A fuse

On the attached
"Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-01.jpg"
Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-01.jpg
and
"Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-02.jpg"
Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-02.jpg
it shows fuse no. 4 20A, Kühler Lüfter = radiator fan

I have 12 Volt on the fuse 4 when the engine is started, when the ignition is on and when ignition is turned off

Question 2:
Is fuse no. 4 20A the same fuse as the 40A fuse
shown in the "Radiatorfan-J293-CurrentFlow-01.JPG" arrow no 1

If it is not the same fuse: Where is the 40A fuse (arrow 1) located ?

Hello again.

I have now found the 40 A radiatorfan Fuse (the "arrow no 1" in "Radiatorfan-J293-CurrentFlow-01.JPG")

So answer to my Question 2 is:
It is NOT the same as Fuse no. 4 in "Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-01.jpg"
and "Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-02.jpg"

It is located above the fuse box, and You have to remove the A-pillar trim and then the lower storage comprtment trim.
See attached photo: "Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-03.jpg"
Radiatorfan-FuseBox-Photo-03.jpg

The big 40 A fuse was broken. I will go to the local Audi deale to morrow and buy one, and hope my problem is solved.

Hello

Now it is working.

And i have the answer to my question 1.
There Shall be 12volt ón the red/blue wire "Radiatorfan-J293-WirePhoto-01.JPG" arrow D
all the time, also when Engine is turned off and when ignition is turned off .

To check that my problem was solved with changing the 40A fuse, I checked the the volt ón the red/blue wire (mentioned above) 12Volt = OK,
The turned ón the aircondition, and checked that the radiator fan started to run, and turned aircondition off, and the radiator fan stopped ( i saw in another thread that it shall start imidiately when aircondition is on, thanks for that afvise).

Then I did drive the A2 until it reached 90 degree (without aircon ) stopped and let the Engine run idle for 5 - 10 minutes ( outdoor temperature was very hot, aprox 31 degree to Day and I did simulate que on the highway ) but Engine still at 90 degree.

And as a benifit , some earlierproblems with heater blower (the one behind the dashboard) seem to have disapeered.

Hi Ole,
Sorry no one could help you with the fan problem. Its great news that you have solved it yourself and thanks for sharing your findings.

Cheers Spike

Hello Spike

Thank You very much for Your reply and interest.
Yes, I hope it Can help others, if they have the same problem.

NB: dó You know if the ambient teperaturesensor G 17 in front of the radiator, is the outdoor (exterior) teperaturesensor, which is shown in the Dash instrument, or has it to dó with the cooling system ?

NB: dó You know if the ambient teperaturesensor G 17 in front of the radiator, is the outdoor (exterior) teperaturesensor, which is shown in the Dash instrument, or has it to dó with the cooling system ?

I can't find any documentation to confirm this but am sure G17 sensor gives the ambient temp reading in the dash

Cheers Spike

Back