Rainwater Conduit.

Can someone confirm whether or not I have a rainwater pipe missing. There seems to be a hole at the bottom of the windscreen where the rain runs through & dumps onto the engine. That can't be right surely?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348519209926.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348519209926.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 331
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348519227024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348519227024.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 345
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348519257406.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348519257406.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 370
Hi There,

First time I can offer advice on here ;)

Yes you do, I know this as my car is currently sitting in the workshop as I have a squealing noise and loss of power (whilst squealing) and the tech found the pipe you have missing emptying ontop of the alternator.

Darren

Cheers Darren. I just called TPS in Stockport to see if they had the part I needed & they didn't seem to know from looking on screen. Then called Audi parts dept in Stockport & he didn't seem sure either. He's going to ask a colleague for his opinion.
It does look like it should have a pipe on the end to divert the rainwater through to low level?? Anyone on here know? Not too happy with the amount of water that's being dumped straight on the engine.
Thanks
Mick

Hi There,

I've just got the parts guys to have a look and from what we can see the part number is

8z0819976C

It's difficult to see on the parts system so this may not be the right on, but this part best matches the desciption and is in the right location.

Darren

The water drainage hose (right) is probably p/n 8Z0 819 976C and costs around £10. Not sure if this parts info is up to date but for ref the hose is shown on illustration no. 823-10

Cheers Spike

Well spike has posted same number as me, I got mine from the current audi parts listings so looks like thats your part.

Darren

Thanks for your help Darren & Spike. Got one on back order with TPS. Wonderful thing this forum :D

Cheers

Mick

A few guys have been selling off parts through the forum sales boards as they seem to be braking older A2's may be worth posting up to see if anyone has one kicking about.

Darren

i have fitted a longer pipe so its below the alternator, i used some caravan waste water pipe i had its the same type of pipe.

I wondered whether I could make something up myself. How long is the piece I have on order with TPS? Is it still going to drop water on the top of engine/alternator?

bit odd why the pipe was not longer in the first place it puts water out above alternator, just had a look at my old pipe about 16in long not sure if thats the norm, mine now goes down to the under tray.

Although an amazing design, especially for it's time (which in my opinion it was well ahead of) but the A2 does have a few oddities like the one's you're talking about regarding the drainage pipes but the one that's always got me is why they didn't include a way of stowing the bonnet when you remove it as there must have been countless bonnets damaged when they are taken off and most you see have their corners chipped at best.
Maybe a good idea for a new thread possibly entitled 'what would you change?'

the one that's always got me is why they didn't include a way of stowing the bonnet when you remove it as there must have been countless bonnets damaged when they are taken off and most you see have their corners chipped at best.

Audi used to sell a protective vinyl bag to store the bonnet in and it cost approx £20.

Cheers Spike

So do we think it would be better to make up my own pipe like Martin54? I'm beginning to think so.
Without me having to go & check in the rain...does anyone know what diameter pipe I would need?

Thanks

Mick

Audi used to sell a protective vinyl bag to store the bonnet in and it cost approx £20.

Cheers Spike

That still seems like a bit of an after thought to me. Something that attatched to the battery area with the tailgate up and boot floor/toolkit access raised would have been quite nice in my opinion as you could set this up prior to removing the bonnet and then place it on the storage device rather than the floor, whether in a vinyl bag or not.

Any way getting back to topic (and my apologies for the slight detour) they are probably the length they are to avoid them fouling any moving parts (alternator belts etc) so if you do decide to go with a longer, to tray pipe make sure it is well fastened/tied so as to avoid any potential serious problems.

Picked up my part from TPS & its the wrong one. The part collected is the same as the one that is at the front of the engine bay. I think I will try & improvise a solution like martin54.

I did ask the guy in TPS if I could return it if it was incorrect & he said it wouldn't be a problem. He also mentioned Mike Hill (he gets everywhere ;-)) and also mentioned that A2OC members qualify for a discount. He mentioned it after I had already paid (tut!) but handy to know for future reference.

I have found a pic whilst browsing on ebay, that seems to show the part I have missing. I have arrowed it (rather crudely). Can anyone confirm that this pipe does channel rainwater within the engine bay??

$T2eC16JHJHoE9n3Kd8kZBRQJ)VSn9g~~60_12.JPG

Thanks

Mick

Hi Mick,

Yeah, that pipe is about 18 inches long and simply diverts water away from the cambelt area of the engine and stop other bits and pieces under the bonnet getting soaked.
It simply drains onto the under tray, where the water runs off onto the ground.

Cheers,

Tom

Back