Range control of head lamps

Evening all

Project shed is now back from the paint shop so we back on the road in a A2 TDI

However , when turning on the key , I greeted with a short warning light when turning on engine

It’s appears to belated to head lamp range functionality , please note this car not fitted with DIS , the photo shows the warning light I can see , but turns off rather quicker than I can take the picture......

So used the head lamp switch , level adjustment, and you can clearly see the head lamps beam pattern on both sides moving over the whole range

My thoughts was the little motor inside one of the s headlights , but this test rules it outs?

So , it’s dark and we not going to fix this tonight , I have a spare range control motor , so can try swapping things around , 2nd photo

Any further tips , more than welcome!

Regards Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
Evening all

Project shed is now back from the paint shop so we back on the road in a A2 TDI

However , when turning on the key , I greeted with a short warning light when turning on engine

It’s appears to belated to head lamp range functionality , please note this car not fitted with DIS , the photo shows the warning light I can see , but turns off rather quicker than I can take the picture......

So used the head lamp switch , level adjustment, and you can clearly see the head lamps beam pattern on both sides moving over the whole range

My thoughts was the little motor inside one of the s headlights , but this test rules it outs?

So , it’s dark and we not going to fix this tonight , I have a spare range control motor , so can try swapping things around , 2nd photo

Any further tips , more than welcome!

Regards Mark
Hi,
Is it a light filament followed by Ok if so this may be a bulb check
It’s the only thing I can think of.

Cheers
Keith.

Trying this photo, result this one uploads ... so this is the warning light I get

Bit stumped here ?

Attachments

• 84D7ECBF-FBBE-4FF8-A4F7-8D54C9F71F1B.png
    84D7ECBF-FBBE-4FF8-A4F7-8D54C9F71F1B.png
    919.2 KB · Views: 206
Odd, I wasn't aware the A2 has any automatic headlight control so I'd agree if the manual control operates it's unlikely to be a motor at fault. I know some warning symbols bear no relationship to the issue though no idea on this one, keep us posted.

Was not aware there was even a warning light fitted for range control. You say car has just been resprayed, how much was stripped and have they reconnected everything back up. Assuming it went for the respray without the warning light on, it suggests something has been disturbed and incorrectly reconnected. I would take the battery out the car and fully charge it as this lets all residual electricity in the car dissipate. Reconnect the now fully charged battery and let the car run its diagnostics and see what that throws up. Have the car scanned with VCDS and note any errors and clear them. If this clears the dash then possibly loose wiring to blame. If it was me, car OK before respray now errors I would take it back to them and politely but firmly tell them to fix it after all you have just had some deep open wallet surgery for the respray.

I know VW Lupo had sort of lever/sensor fitted in to rear axle to detect when car is loaded and then adjust headlight level - is such solution on A2?

Back