Rattling noise

keez

Has anyone ever had an annoying 'rattling noise' while driving, especially through uneven roads? It feels as if something is loose but recently passed its MOT with no probs.

It seems to come from the front of the car on the driver side. Any ideas would be appreciated.

It is likely to be suspension related - either your anti-roll bar (ARB) has come adrift or you might have sustained some spring damage.

Yes - just had the same rattkle investigated and it is the nearside antiroll bar drop link - could be worse! Anyt suggestions of the cheapest place to mailorder the part? Is this shared with a polo and cheaper through VW?
Cheers
:rolleyes:Mark

This sounds very like what I'm experiencing. Is it straightforward to fix? Is there a 'how-to' anywhere...?

Jon

Hi Jon
I wrote a brief 'how to' description in the attached link. I found it easier to jack one side of the car up at a time as this loads the anti rollbar up and in most cases stops the ball joint threaded stud from turning while removing the nylock nuts. If this fails, there is a Torx bit recess in the end of the thread for holding the stud.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2551

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, I see that post also has the part number listed so that's great. I'll check it out as soon as possible...

Cheers, Jon

Hi Jon
Yes, they are the rollbar droplinks. Last time I checked they cost around £20 each from Audi. Although more expensive the genuine parts also have a 2 year warranty
If you're handy with the spanners then its not a long job to remove the links and check the condition of the ball joints before buying new ones. The threaded end should be fairly stiff to move side to side on a good joint. Even though its difficult to detect free play on a worn joint, if it moves freely without any resistance it will rattle on the car.

Cheers Spike

Thanks again, Spike. I once dismantled the suspension on my old Rover Mini many moons ago to change some rubber bushes, and remember how tricky it was to get some of those nuts off. I'll probably leave well alone as I'm a bit less adventurous these days... ;)

Jon

Just went to an Audi guru. He advised that it can't be the suspension/anti roll bars as it rattles while stationary.

He suggested it could be the fuel pipes vibrating against each other.

Does this sound right?

Cheers Spike. I can't see the thread as it says permission denied :confused:

Is this an easy thing to fix and is there no long lasting damage as a result of this rattle?

Hi keez
Not sure why you dont have access but I've attached the main post from the thread.
His TDi was also a 2003 model
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, I surely recognise that problem with the fuel hose.
Well, actually, I was told it was a fuel line (not hose) that was knocking on the bodywork somewhere.

Symptoms: very annoying rattle from indescript place near centre console. Heard when accelerating under full load from 2000 to 3500 rpm. Strangely enough the fix was performed more towards the back of car, afaik.

Replaced by my dealer after a really long time of investigation.

My A2 was built in august 2003.

And yeah, I did post a thread about this back then.
Read about it on a German A2 forum as well.

Cheers,
Edo
--------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Spike

Sounds exactly what i'm experiencing. The guy said he'll jack it up and put 'foam' there.

I hope for 2 things, it works & it won't cost much!

After exhausting all mechanical parts which were suspected to cause the rattling (no conclusive evidence found) I have noticed the bonnet (at the corner just beside the windscreen) driver side can be pressed causing a tapping noise. When I press the same area passenger side, its fully secure and no tapping noise can be heard when pressed.

Can this be the problem all along?

Yes - I had it on my last A2 - you can either fit a new bracket, or try adjusting it to tighten things up.

It's less of a rattle from memory though, more a vibration or buzz.

Cheers

Mike

Yep. Me too. I had this when I first bought my A2 and I ended up cutting out a piece of rectangular plastic from the lid of an ice cream tub and wedging it under the retaining bracket that is fixed to the car. It cured the problem and it has never happened again.

Back