Rattling tailgate

hydo14

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
The tailgate on Project Commuter has started rattling in a very irritating way when driving. I have narrowed the issue down to the tailgate as the noise can be replicated from the outside by pushing on area around the boot release switch and the whole assembly moves in and out from the car.

To try and remedy the fault I have done the following:
  • Adjust the stops that sit on the sides of the tailgate to their maximum position (I don't think that these actually make contact with anything even in this position)
  • Adjust the position of the steel loop catch to the lowest position (i.e so when the boot closes it is held as tightly as possible)
  • Replacement gas struts
Are there any other adjustments that can be made to the car to help with this rattle or any other parts that might be worn causing too much play and the boot lid to bounce? I am thinking the position of the tailgate on the hinges could be changed but not sure if that might help. I looked at moving the catch that's on the tailgate however there's no adjustment for the position of this.

Perhaps the boot lock itself is worn and not able to pull the hatch in tight enough. Try wedging a couple of pieces of foam on the rubber seal either side of the lock and close the hatch onto them. If this improves or clears the rattle then try to reposition the lock / catch.

You don't have those dangerous springs fitted on your gas struts do you?

You have also checked there is nothing inside the area where the lock sits into the boot that could prevent the lock going deeper?

Last edited:
Sounds like the hatch release switch mechanism is loose or disintegrating, if it's moving with finger pressure.
Mac.

Perhaps the boot lock itself is worn and not able to pull the hatch in tight enough. Try wedging a couple of pieces of foam on the rubber seal either side of the lock and close the hatch onto them. If this improves or clears the rattle then try to reposition the lock / catch.

You don't have those dangerous springs fitted on your gas struts do you?

You have also checked there is nothing inside the area where the lock sits into the boot that could prevent the lock going deeper?
I don't have the auto release as it always looked like a recipe for disaster and I have no reason to suspect that they were used on this car. When the boot is closed and at rest it appears to me to be physically in the right place as the body shut lines all look right and are consistent the whole war around.

The area where the lock sits is completely clear, I had the plastic surround off from around the rear lower portion of the boot to investigate the position of the catch and move it down.
Sounds like the hatch release switch mechanism is loose or disintegrating, if it's moving with finger pressure.
Mac.
Will take a look at the lock mechanism, as this is plausible that this has worn and that's why the issue has only started to appear.

From a thorough inspection I suspect the lock is a problem, the plastic cover on the catch is very very worn and the catch is loose when operating it manually so I think that this might be introducing a lot of play into the boot when it is closed

I have 2 lock mechanism`s sitting in my garage, your more than welcome to both of them, if you cover the postage. I got these from A2steve, I only needed the actuators.

Regards John

Wear and tear is now apparent on many items on the A2. Lets hope this replacement lock assembly cures your rattle completely.

Back