Re-map at 190k, feasable or foolhardy?

Pompeydave

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone, my 1.4tdi is now just shy of having 190k on the clock, and although the engine is fine and burns no oil whatsoever, the box is very tired and needs replacing. What I'd like to do is to take it to Vince and get him to remap the engine and fit a JDD Bluemotion box at the same time. My only nagging worry is whether the engine is getting too long in the tooth for the remap?

I read somewhere on here that on high milers the oil pump is what usually gives up the ghost thus killing the engine. Is this correct, and if so, can I just bolt on a new or recon pump? Are there any other parts I can replace to extend the engines life such as, turbo, injectors, head gasket, valve stems and seats etc etc?

Thanks in advance...

Hi everyone, my 1.4tdi is now just shy of having 190k on the clock, and although the engine is fine and burns no oil whatsoever, the box is very tired and needs replacing. What I'd like to do is to take it to Vince and get him to remap the engine and fit a JDD Bluemotion box at the same time. My only nagging worry is whether the engine is getting too long in the tooth for the remap?

I read somewhere on here that on high milers the oil pump is what usually gives up the ghost thus killing the engine. Is this correct, and if so, can I just bolt on a new or recon pump? Are there any other parts I can replace to extend the engines life such as, turbo, injectors, head gasket, valve stems and seats etc etc?

Thanks in advance...

The answer is frighteningly simple.

You will PROBABLY be ok, BUT you will be taking chances.

It is not so much the increase in power, it is more due to the fact that you WILL be driving it harder (or why else do the remap)

If your engine has lasted 190,000 miles then it can;t be weak, but some parts will be quite worn, but the main load will be on the big ends (and little ends) and the gearbox. If the oil pressure is normal (worth getting someone to check that) and if the gearbox seems ok, no rumbles or whines, then you should be OK.

If it was me, I would do it, but it is a risk, however small.

So the simple answer is that it is up to you.

Steve B

I'd talk to Vince about doing an engine health check in advance of the remap.

Cheers Spike

Ok, thanks chaps. Any idea's about replacing at least the oil pump? It bolts onto the outside of the engine, yes?

Ok, thanks chaps. Any idea's about replacing at least the oil pump? It bolts onto the outside of the engine, yes?

No Harm in replacing that, but a drop in oil pressure is more likely to be due to wear on the crank shells and big end bearings, but the oil pump will have taken a fair bit of wear too.

But I would wait until you have checked the oil pressure you have first, It might be good enough, in which case leave everything alone! Or it could be pretty bad in which case an oil pump change is not likely to resolve it by much.

Steve B

Ok, looks like a call to Vince is going to be in order. Hell of a long way to go though for me, but looks like Stealth are going to be my best bet...

Ok, looks like a call to Vince is going to be in order. Hell of a long way to go though for me, but looks like Stealth are going to be my best bet...

Why not get your local garage to check your oil pressure first, just in case.

It is a long way to go only to find out that your oil pressure is too low.

Any decent local garage should have an oil pressure tester.

That way one of the biggest items will be tested before you go.

It might save you a wasted journey!

Steve B

I think its high mileage 1.4 petrol engines which are more vulnerable to oil pump problems. Not aware of the same issue with TDis

Cheers Spike

Ok, good point, my local indie can probably check oil pressure. I was sure I'd read that the oil pump on the 1.4tdi engine was the part that fails first?

Ok, good point, my local indie can probably check oil pressure. I was sure I'd read that the oil pump on the 1.4tdi engine was the part that fails first?

I stick to the old saying, if it ain't bust then don't fix it!!!!

Steve B

to do the oil pump you need to have the whole sump off which is not an easy job so best avoided by checking oil pressure first.
Also check compression on each cyl as that would be a more meaningful test.
If you get it chipped you will fall in love with your car all over again BUT the extra power may expose a previously hidden weakness like a head gasket that may not be able to cope with the extra combustion pressure.
Good luck...

Back