Re Sleeving Gearchange Tower Bearing

So as we know on the EWQ gearbox the small needle bearing that is pressed into the detachable aluminium casting that sits below the gear selector arm is very prone to wear causing the gate to go missing between 2nd and 3rd, in extreme cases losing nearly all the gears. I have a couple of spare worn out assemblies which I have removed the remains of the old bearing. (I heated up the area which the bearing is pressed into with a blow lamp, its enough to be able to tap the old steel sleeve out). I am going to get a few sleeves made from a bronze type material. Once I have pressed in the new bearing sleeve I will fit it to my son's A2 which is pretty bad and report back. I have bought a pack of ten oil seals part no 02A 301 227 C that will finish the job nicely. The VAG item inc seal is now getting on for £30 and considering how much work it does and is quite a crucial component it just doesn't seem up to the job. Anyway, will let you all know.

This did occur to me too, I was thinking phosphor bronze bush, and possibly drilled for an old school grease nipple.
I have done the same with the wiper mechanism……if you pull one apart there are 2 bushes with a void in between them, so a carefully positioned hole drilled and tapped into that and it can be greased. The 2 I’ve done have been ready and rusty.

So as we know on the EWQ gearbox the small needle bearing that is pressed into the detachable aluminium casting that sits below the gear selector arm is very prone to wear causing the gate to go missing between 2nd and 3rd, in extreme cases losing nearly all the gears. I have a couple of spare worn out assemblies which I have removed the remains of the old bearing. (I heated up the area which the bearing is pressed into with a blow lamp, its enough to be able to tap the old steel sleeve out). I am going to get a few sleeves made from a bronze type material. Once I have pressed in the new bearing sleeve I will fit it to my son's A2 which is pretty bad and report back. I have bought a pack of ten oil seals part no 02A 301 227 C that will finish the job nicely. The VAG item inc seal is now getting on for £30 and considering how much work it does and is quite a crucial component it just doesn't seem up to the job. Anyway, will let you all know.
Chris, thinking about keeping water off the tower, would it be feasible to fit a long/pillar nut to the top of the spindle. Then, clamp a steel disc to the top of the nut. If the disc were to be slightly conical, it would act like an umbrella?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Chris, thinking about keeping water off the tower, would it be feasible to fit a long/pillar nut to the top of the spindle. Then, clamp a steel disc to the top of the nut. If the disc were to be slightly conical, it would act like an umbrella?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Yup, I was thinking of something like this. it may interfere with the up/down of the spindle though. I think a big dollop of thick grease on top of the oil seal would stop a lot of it, before the selector arm is refitted.

Yep the grease is probably the easiest method. I did wonder if a small rubber bellows ( think like a cv boot ) is available that will grip the shaft and somehow get attached to the gearbox.

Back