Rear axle rust

Hi all,

Anyone noticed rust on the rear axle? I've noticed spots of rust on mine and wondered if any other members could recommend any treatment for a DIY job.

Thanks
Martin.

Hi all,

Anyone noticed rust on the rear axle? I've noticed spots of rust on mine and wondered if any other members could recommend any treatment for a DIY job.

Happens to all cars Martin, especially with our salty roads in the winter. You could steam clean the underbody and paint the axle with smoothrite if it bothers you. Another couple of highland winters the spots of rust will show again though. :D

Thanks. It's the axle not the drum. Although I need to give another coat to the drums as they have the odd rust spot coming through.

Trying to avoid steaming as that will probably involve paying someone and I'm a bit low on cash right now. I'll most probably wash the axle and use some of that smoothrite as you mentioned. Cheers.

Trying to avoid steaming as that will probably involve paying someone and I'm a bit low on cash right now

Ok, I'm a self confessed OCD car cleaner - I run hot water through a £30 B&Q power washer with a bit of detergent. I do the cars underbodies, wheel arches and engine bay a couple of times a year this way to keep salt and contamination off the components, so theres no need to be paying people. I have ruined one high pressure hose right enough as its only rated to 40C. :eek:

Seems like both the rear and front suspension parts rust very easily.
Even though I've treated them before any rust was visible back in 2006 signs of rust are now showing. Too bad the suspension parts weren't made from aluminium as the rest of the car. Same problem with the classic 1980's DeLoreans. Stainless steel body on a mild steel chassis. But if you order a new DeLorean today, a stainless steel chassis comes without extra charge http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

Let's hope when the A2 enters the "remanufactured" program in 2030, that the suspension parts come in aluminium. :)

Breathed some life into an old thread.

Didn't like the look of the surface corrosion on Humpy's rear axle, so off it came, got blasted, etch primed and powder coated.

Take a look at the before and after story !
Of course it all started as a simple rear brake shoe replacement ! (Petra is still muttering !)
But I'm sure she will enjoy the enhanced stopping power (when I finally get to drive Humpy again !!) Handbrake lever was completely seized !

All being equal it all goes back on tomorrow with brand new everything - including FSD !

More pics to come.

Blue skies
Tony (and Petra)

Very, very nice job. However this is a little bit over-the-top in my opinion. The surface rust is just that, surface rust. It's not structural. Unless you're fanatical about your cars (I'm a bit OCD about keeping it clean), but there's not much you can do to stop rust from reappearing. I'm busy battening down the hatches as we approach yet another winter, with salt and grit on the roads, frost, snow and anything else mother-nature (and the local council) care to throw at us.

If you have access to the paint facilities, then all well and good.;)

On another car I've tried using POR15. It's one of several 'rust convertors' on the market. It's spoken of quite highly in the marine business. In situ I painted my suspension wishbones, finishing off with chassis paint. I hope that helps to see that car through the winter.

HTH

Back