Rear Light Cluster Foglight RHD to LHD

gangitano85

A2OC Donor
Belgium
I was just admiring my little Annie's new LHD headlights and I was thinking about the rear foglight which will need to be switched. As most of you are aware, there is room for a foglight on the left hand side, but when you actually put a bulb in it doesn't do anything.

So here's my question: will fitting a new / used rear light cluster for a LHD car solve my problem or is there more work necesseary to the wiring and all...

Here's a how to for the same mod on a TT. Same process on A2, I think.
Mac.

Don't think it's as complicated as the TT.
From the bits I've read, the A2 passenger side light unit already has the fog light bulb holder installed and sometimes there is even a bulb in it.
The only part missing is a live feed wire (with connector pin) from the RH fog lamp
Can't find a detailed 'How To' guide though

Cheers Spike

Don't think it's as complicated as the TT.
From the bits I've read, the A2 passenger side light unit already has the fog light bulb holder installed and sometimes there is even a bulb in it.
The only part missing is a live feed wire (with connector pin) from the RH fog lamp
Can't find a detailed 'How To' guide though

Cheers Spike
I have done my TT, and there was already a twin filament bulb in place. All that is required is to add the small metal link (left out at OE assembly) between the second end contact on the bulb, (one is already in use) and the track.
Not complicated at all. Warm plastic blob>lift track>slot in new link>push track back>warm blob>job done. (Exactly as shown in the vid).
Hardest part is getting hold of the link, I bought the back part of a smashed Golf cluster from a breaker. One cluster will provide enough to share.
Mac.

From my experience the metal track is already present in the left light cluster, but the wiring connector has a vacant location for the power supply. The lights themselves normally have a little metal disc in the fog light location that needs to be grabbed with thin nose pliers and twisted out to let the bulb poke into the lights as the rest of the bulbs do. So remove the metal disc and wire power into the location in the plug taking the power from the corresponding pin on the right hand light unit wiring. Route the wiring behind the rear boot trim and up into the rear light area leaving a bit slack to enable bulb changes in the future.

From my experience the metal track is already present in the left light cluster, but the wiring connector has a vacant location for the power supply. The lights themselves normally have a little metal disc in the fog light location that needs to be grabbed with thin nose pliers and twisted out to let the bulb poke into the lights as the rest of the bulbs do. So remove the metal disc and wire power into the location in the plug taking the power from the corresponding pin on the right hand light unit wiring. Route the wiring behind the rear boot trim and up into the rear light area leaving a bit slack to enable bulb changes in the future.

Thanks, but I have to admit that I have done anything like this before... I wouldn't even know what bits to order or how to wire the whole thing...

Back