Rear wheel not rotating

Kaz

Hiya

Just had my ebay'd A2 recovered and discovered the rear wheel doesnt rotate - would this be wheel bearing or handbrake?

how easy would this be to resolve?

Cheers

Kaz

hi Kaz, i would be 99% sure it was to do with the brakes as all my time as a mechanic i have never come across a binding wheel which was caused by wheel bearing unless its a 1966 ford angila which has been sat in a puddle for 40 years lol, i would imagine it is either a seized cable seized arm on the shoes or seized cylinder (more likely one one of the first Two) get the car up in the air (hand brake off, chock front wheels) deadjust hand brake if still binding get the wheel off and give the drum a tap with the hammer, if still seized u will have to get a slide hammer on the drum (may break the fitting kit for the shoes but they are cheap) Good luck :)

Hiya

Just had my ebay'd A2 recovered and discovered the rear wheel doesnt rotate - would this be wheel bearing or handbrake?

how easy would this be to resolve?

Cheers

Kaz

Hi Kaz,
I'm assuming it's a drum brake and if it is than it's almost certainly a leaver seized on to the shoe. It is shown here in red:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4553&d=1281943189

It's a pig of a job unless uou have the right tools (whatever they might be :rolleyes:), the sprigs are very awkward to remove and even more so to reinstall - make sure you don't loose them (flying off)!
Plenty of WD40 and elbow greese to get the leaver moving again.
Make sure you dont get any oil on the pads!!!

Take a look here for a detailed instructions:
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14383

Good luck

Mike
:)

Last edited:
To refit the fitting kit this is the easy way to do it, put your index finger on the back of the pin and your thumb on the shoe pushing it against the back plate, place the spring on the pin get some pliers on the retaining clip, push the clip against the spring hard and spin. when i started it the trade i use to hate them but you soon learn lol

thanks guys - i rocked the car via 1st and reverse and it freed up in the end -
will open up when im ready to do the mot - at the moment, i have another issue in a seperate thread - lol!

Just returned from a stint offshore to find my A2 isn't going anywhere :-(

Tried rocking between 1st/reverse for 10 mins, it's just dragging both rear wheels up and down the street. Will try some gentle persuasion with a hammer, if not I'll follow the instructions above - thanks everyone, all useful stuff to know!

Hahaha, nope handbrake was definitely off!

All sorted now cheers, needed a few taps all round the drum with a hammer, just the shoes sticking to the drums. Exactly the same both sides. Both now spin freely, at least I've found out the handbrake cables etc are all fine.

Will just leave it in gear without using the handbrake next time I go away.

Back