Remap question...

Brabazon

Been checking out a few places here in Northern Ireland that do remaps on A2 TDi's. Coming in around the £210-£235 mark. There's one place that I have yet to check that apparently do Revo remaps, I seem to remember reading about them on here...?

Anyway, my question is really about what extra stresses and strains are put on things after a remap. What suffers? Turbo? Any things to be wary of? My driving style is not boy racer-ish, so I won't be tearing about like a lunatic, stressing things out to the max... I'm just curious to unleash that extra 30bhp!

I just want a bit more hoof! :D

Cheers,

Jon

I've got the Revo remap, works well with very little smoke.
In terms of what suffers - well you're basically just pushing the envelope a bit further on the turbo in terms of higher boost across more revs, and longer fuelling cycles so possibly more stress on the injectors, all the boost hoses will see a higher positive pressure so more chance of air leaks, your clutch will be required to work with more torque so may wear faster.

Also as you've got more performance it's likely you'll be driving a bit harder, so your brakes will be required to work more with you driving faster (and your tyres will be required to work harder if you're driving faster!) ...

However, a good tuner won't push it so hard chasing the biggest possible BHP figure that the engine goes pop. I've re-mapped every car I've ever owned and run some huge miles on them, and I drive my vehicles hard. Never had (touch wood) any problem that was caused directly by the re-map (ie. a turbo failure, or a blown head!).

Thanks Dan. Getting closer to making a decision. Never done this kind of thing with any previous cars so all this is useful info...

The difference will probably be negligible anyway, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it makes any kind of noticeable difference...!

Jon

I've remapped or mechanically reworked every car engine I've owned, including turbos and normally aspirated ones, petrol and diesel and know the differences a good map will make. Let me assure you that the difference from remapping the 1.4TDi is far from negligible, you will notice the difference straight away. You get more pull from lower down, and the increase in performance is sustained right to the red-line - it completely gets rid of the feeling that the car runs out of puff over 3000rpm. Makes a big difference to how you can drive the car - you can actually be more relaxed and use the gears less. Theoretically you'll see a small improvement in MPG too, depending on how you use the extra performance...

That i will agree with as soon as you get back in the car its so much better to drive smooth and the power seems endless

Cheers Phil

Thanks guys. Ever the pessimist, that's me... ;)

What you say has definitely convinced me to go ahead with it as soon as I can settle on who to take it to. Still canvassing opinion on that one... :)

Jon

Got my remap done today. Have to say I'm really pleased! First impressions are very positive. It has made a noticeable difference and the car is so much better to drive - smoother if anything, and definitely more punchy.

If anyone in Northern Ireland is looking for a remap, I can recommend the guys at OBD Autotune. They know their stuff and are very reasonable too...

Cheers, Jon

Good to hear you've had a successful remap and you're pleased - makes such a big difference doesn't it!

Do you have figures for BHP and torque now?

I wasn't really bothered about finding out the actual figures, so didn't use their rolling road - they actually came to my house and did it - but he said it will have given it about 25bhp more.

I've only really been out once, and he said it'll take a while to settle in, but it's really noticeable through all the gears. 1st gear was pretty useless and limp before and always irritated me, but now it springs out of junctions and just feels more eager.

Looking for an excuse to go out for a drive again... :)

Thanks for the encouragement to get it done. Should have had it done sooner!

Jon

(Where I live the main road between Belfast and Bangor (coincidentally called the 'A2') is riddled with SPECS cameras, and one thing I noticed was that the car now naturally wants to go quicker and it was more difficult to keep to the ridiculous speed limits. I'm going to need a Skipton cruise now, aren't I...?)

;)

Last edited:
Not sure with the A2 ECU but potentially 'yes' if the workshop have downloaded some updated software. It certainly was a problem with an Astra T8 i had with a VXR Performance re-map whereby some owners experienced their VXL dealerships who didn't understand the upgrade 'remove' it at service...... as a result whenever I had mine serviced i told the garage so if it was 'removed' they had to pay for re-installing the software.....

Wow. I want to remap my car.. Can anyone give me a quote please of how much it'll cost me? i need my car to go faster its a 1.4tdi..
:\. The problem is Audi a2 tdi is slow to start of with but then picks up speed fast gear 4 and 5

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be worth getting a quote for upgrading the brakes first or taking a speed awareness or Advanced Driving course before you really do 'kill' someone with talk like that. Racing is for the racetrack NOT the public highway.

Hi Brabazon, i also went to OBD, i think it was £175 for the map, goes far better now and fuel consumption has not really increased. Where are you located? maybe we should get a meet organised:p

Has anyone had a 1.4 petrol remapped? I know it won't up the peak figures much but I'm wondering if it improves the throttle response which I think is pretty poor. I'm currently chugging about in a '99 Polo 1.4 60bhp which goes well enough and has much much better response than the 1.4 petrol A2s I've driven :(

Can we assume you have done the usual cleaning of the MAF sensor, throttle body, used decent oil, new air filter etc?

Back