Renault / Citroen

• Thread starter fairbrother3202
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fairbrother3202

Had a test drive this weekend in both the new Renault Scenic and Citroen Picasso. I have to say, I was not too impressed with either. Could not believe how plasticky the interiors were. Is it that I have got too used to the Audi Interior?
The Scenic did drive very nicely, if not a little boring. I have to admit, the Picasso was very well thought out internally but MY GOD! externally it's not going to win any beauty pagents.
Hope I do not upset anyone out there who owns one of the above mentioned motors!
Any other suggestion Chaps? I have about £10.5K to spend. The wife stated that it must be an MPV (she who must be obeyed). Not to bothered if I buy new, nearly new or even a couple of years old.
Had a quick look on the internet at the new shape Toyota Corolla Verso, but seems a little out of my price range.
Now not sure what to look at.

Dolphin Grey 1.4 petrol c/w OpenSky

Don't buy a Renault - from our experience they are just like the car in the ad and have minds of their own. i.e. they decide when they will work, or not!

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Have you considered the Seat Altea? In my opinion it is the best looking mpv/ mini mpv avaliable. I did a quick check on autotrader and found them avaliable from approx £9k upwards on a 54 plate.

Other than that a 4x4 could be the way to go.

Cheers Phil.

Dolphin grey tdi se, DIS, single cd.

I think the Ford C-Max looks nice and the roadtests I have read were complimentary. Don't know if they are within budget though...

If you liked the quirky distinctiveness of the A2 the SEAT Altea is the one I'd go for as well. They are not really quirky but they are scarce and thus distinctive. That they are bloody good looking is just a further bonus with proven VW mechanicals - it is afterall a Golf 5 in Spanish drag...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Have had a look at the Seat Altea this evening, but the wife does not think it is practical enough for us. The problem is that it is not a true three seater in the rear, and not enough options when it comes to folding or removing the seats. Drove nice though.
I am now looking at the Ford Focus C-Max. The Zetec diesel's do seem to be a very good price. Plenty of examples on Autotrader for under the £10k mark. Do any of you chap's have experience of these and can coment on their quality / capabilities?
To be honest I said I would never have another Ford. Then again, my last one was back in 1985 (A Capri automatic!)

We owned three, (16 years solid Ford)last sold in 1997 and have driven numerous hire/loan/ demonstrators, never had any significant problems with them - just the odd wear and tear items.

Went to Vauxhall because GPT only offered them as company cars and then VW (Passat was bigger than Mk2 Mondeo) and now Honda (lower co2(tax) and better spec than Mk4 Mondeo but was a close call).

Whatever you buy look at Parkers & "Honest John" on the web and search for forums so you know what the common problems are before you commit (when my daughter bought a Focus we didn't realise why so many we looked at had wet passenger footwells until I checked the forums - then all became clear) - she got a dry one and had no problems but sold it because it was too big for her.

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

As expected, the wife hates the Multipla and would not consider it in a million years. Let's be honest though, it's a bloody ugly car! Great inside I will grany you, but I would need to reach a compromise on looks and practicality.
We test drove the Focus C-Max this evening. It was the 2.0litre TDCi Ghia. Drove very nicely and the wife liked the look of it, especially inside. Great design in the back with the sliding rear seats. To be honest, I also have heard many frightening stories about Fords build quility. Not all bad I am sure, but with the sort of quantity they sell, there are always going to be some rogue elements. Easy to say, but not sure if I am confident enough to buy.
I am at that stage now where I do not know what to look at next.
Any more suggestions chap's?

Christ! I was looking for a good reason to tell the wife that I could find something better than the Scenic that she has set her heart on.

quote:Originally posted by ULP

I remember someone around here has a Touran, so I will try to be polite...

'54 registered 2005 1.4TDI (75bhp) SE in Silver with bench seat, climate and tracker
'52 registered smart city-coupe pure (44bhp) in jack black with luggage cover, C.d. player and C.d. holder

lol - that someone is StuartD - the current forum and club owner!!!!

I Must confess that when i was looking for an A2
I Was also interested in the C-Max But it was just
outside my price range My sister had a scenic and had
no end of problems with it including £1.5K Spent on
the gearbox which still did not put it right they have
now got rid of it and gone for the citreon had no problems
with that .......

If I had the money i would go for the C-Max or save up
for a while love the look of the new Toyota Verso .....

Ive got to be honest Carl, I also like the look of the new shape Toyota Corolla Verso, but unfortunately having checked a few prices, It's out of our price range. They do seem to be holding their prices very well. Had a Corolla nine years ago and it was bloody marvelous. Nothing much to look at, but great reliability and wonderful dealer back-up.
Going on Sunday to Leeds to have a look at a Renault Scenic Privalege which is the top of the range model with the 1.9litre DCi 130bhp engine, six speed gearbox and half leather seats. (Beige interior though!)It's up at a very good price, but will still be looking to find a nice specification C-Max for comparison.

Have you looked at the Honda FRV, it seats 3 in the front and 3 in the rear looks a bit like the BMW 4x4, might be a bit pricey though.

Be warned - there are only 2 scenics on our company fleet, one is diesel and it is on its fourth turbocharger in 3 years. All failed while driver was away from home!

The pool Laguna is regarded as the worst car they have!

At this rate, I think I will be sticking with the A2. Anyone selling a trailer? Or maybe I should just sell the wife and son! Stupid comment I know, cos they will be more trouble long-term than the Audi.

quote:Originally posted by fairbrother3202

At this rate, I think I will be sticking with the A2. Anyone selling a trailer? Or maybe I should just sell the wife and son! Stupid comment I know, cos they will be more trouble long-term than the Audi.

Hey this is not as crazy as it sounds I Take it your wife does not read these forumns either ....i was driving along the M4 last Saturday On my way to Devon (camping holiday) thinking god i could do with a trailer or roofbox or something and i only saw one A2 on the way down there and you'll never guess what .... he was towing a bloody boat the boat was about 2 1/2 times the length of the car i nearly caused a pileup on the M4 as i could not beleive my eyes
i bet that was interesting to tow and he was in the FAST LANE

thats what you call Bloody Brave !!!!

Mind you i got to say i cant believe what wifey managed to pack in Our car for the camping holiday fair play to her LOL !!!![27]

[3]
Illegal in lane 3 and if the boat was 2.5times the length almost certainly too heavy also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh[2]

Your mind is best kept like a parachute.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with a subtle, refined, pre schnoz design A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

quote:Originally posted by maersk

[3]
Illegal in lane 3 and if the boat was 2.5times the length almost certainly too heavy also!!!!!!!!!!

If you've ever travelled down to Devon in the summer on Saturday morning you will know that traffic is nose to tail and that generally it is a free for all what lane you are in and as for the boat it was probably more of a sailing dinghy with a great long mast still well out of proportion with the A2 so it was probably not so heavy but what im getting at is that an A2 can still pull even with a tow bar on the back and when was the last time you saw an A2 Pulling a Sailing Boat....

MY WIFE AND KIDS saw it as well and they said can we get one of those LOL!!!!!!!!! [3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back