Renault Meganne 1.5 DCi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

I am testing a Meganne 1.5 DCi at the moment. It is basically a nice car though there are better cars out there, its trump card is its MPG and range. I have allowed others to drive it all of whom drove enthusiastically and have done 2 long motorway trips. On 3/4's of a tankful I travelled 560 miles at 54 mpg (the car diplayed 54.9 MPG). This means I could go over 700 miles per tankful with normal driving. On a test run after filling up and driving very carefully I achieved 72 mpg on the computer which I assume from my tests is 2% optomistic. That is still 70 mpg giving a max range of 910 miles.

I do not understand why more manafacturers do not follow this formula of super efficient small diesil engine and a large fuel tank. The only other car i am aware of like this is the peugeot 307 1.4HDi. Does anyone know of any others?, I know VW do the SDi's but they are so slow and no more ecconomical than the turbo's

Once got to 720 miles in a Vectra DI - from memory it was around 66mpg, and a bigger car. THis is a relatively old engine now -pre common rail so the Astra probably achieves similar figures.

If you really want good economy you do not want a large tank since if full there is more weight to move around. Better to have a smaller tank and fill more often.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO, Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Phil

What is the build like? I tested a Megane before I got the Corolla....The proper demo car was off the road due to 'issues' and the back-up demo car the dealer gave me creaked like a good'un.

Maybe they have improved in the 18 months since I tried....

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I tried not to comment on the quality but...

Our fleet manager curses Renaults and we have one guy on his fourth turbocharger in two years. Company car so he doesn't pay but it was him that was stranded each time it failed times.

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO, Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Finished the demo now, the quality was poor, I can't believe what car compare it to that of a golf. The clincher for me is that I got back into my A2 which is the basic 1.4 petrol/no options with 90000 miles on the clock and I would rather keep the old A2 than switch to a new Meganne. The quality in the A2 is so good you forget how far behind other cars still are.

Overall my impressions where out of 5 stars

Ride and Handling **
Equipment *****
Running costs *****
Quality **

Overall ***

Unless the new Golf is very poor or I start to feel very poor I will not be getting one of these.

With regards to big fuel tanks I agree it seems silly to carry round a lot of fuel but when you sometimes travel 1000 miles in 3 days the meganne would require 1.5 fill ups if that makes sense the A2 would require at least 3 (34 litre tank)

I will update when I have driven the Avensis and Golf. If I could have the A2 TDi with Air Con I would definitely have another A2. Its still only the 1.4 basic. Does anyone know if Audi still do the £250 climate and metallic offer as I could have this.

Phil

As a Corolla owner, I would be interested in your Avensis report. My Corolla (2003) is not up to the quality Toyota would have us believe!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

quote:Originally posted by runboy

My Corolla (2003) is not up to the quality Toyota would have us believe!
I'll second that!!
My wife's Corolla purchased new last year came with 5 quality issues of which my local dealer had no interest in resolving!

[img=left]http://www.a2forum.net/stuart.gif[/img=left]Stuart Diamond: A2OC Founder | Forum Administrator

2001 TDi SE: Cobalt Blue Metallic | Open Sky Roof | Kenwood Mask CD | Front Centre Armrest | Front Centre Tray

New A2OC Website!

Phil,
Audi are still doing the climate & metallic for £250 offer. In 2002 they told me it was for 6 months or so but it seems to be indefinite.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

I am getting the avensis tomorrow evening for 4 days, The climate news is interesting, it makes the a2 a contender with its new to me 42 litre fuel tank as well.

[37]
Shaked-d-ass.
Nice to look at though but.
Megan</u>e
Sorry to be a pedant

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

Sorry I can't spell, I blame the Labour government.

Anyway, I have the Avensis demo now, the T3-s which is basically a T2 with sat nav, alloys and a different gear nob. First impressions are very nice. The centre console is dark grey which I like rather than the silver of the higher spec models and it is all very solid apart from the bit in between the driver and pasenger by the handbrake which is a bit shabby. Very relaxing drive and the wife loves it. I am sorry to say it is very nice to be in a big car because I don't like the idea of everyone driving tanks but it is nice. I need to check the economy but am doing 600 miles in the next 2 days so will update then.

Phil

What engine do you have in the Avensis?

Also looked at the Megane as a replacement when they came out, had a 1,5 DCI as a rental car and a 1,9 at the dealer... the 1,5 suprised me on the motorway and the abysmal 0-60 time of 17 seconds or something was not that apparent! But in the end of the day I also decided to stick with an older A2 than have a new Megane. They were weird enough for me when they came out, but are now again too common! hehehe

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

The engine is a 1.8vvti, I agree Johann the acceleration of the Megane seemed fine for everyday use, it was no hot hatch and much less of a fun drive than the A2.

As for the Toyota. I have now ordered one, I was genuinely impressed with the overall feel of the car, it felt like a very luxurious experience for a £14,500 car. The engine is a bit gutless unless you rev it and the handling just safe predictable understeer on the limit but it is fantastic on the motorway/fast A road where I spend most of my time. Sit it at 85 mph and it will do 45-48mpg on the flat. On a 300 mile run of some local roads, A roads, and motorway it achieved 41.9 mpg with the computer telling me 41.4. I would not recommend this car if your average journey is under 20 miles but mine are all around 200 miles round trip with a bit of local weekend work and for this it is perfect.

Ride and Handling **** (Great ride, average handling)
Equipment *****
Running costs ***
Quality ****

Overall ****

The quality that Toyota so shout about is evident in most areas. From the laymen (mother and lady at work) the impression is of an executive car and the interior is very good in most areas just let down by the area between driver and pasenger. On higher spec models this is an armrest but they have not put the effort in on this model.

The decision maker for me was that I had to drive a colleagues 2.0FSI A4 for around 100 miles then get in the Toyata. The A4 was a much sharper faster and more quality car but I still looked forward to and enjoyed getting in the Toyota for some stress free motoring and of the 2 would have rather been in the Toyota for that particular journey.

So it will be so long to the A2 forum however I will do a final write up on the main area when it goes and will still hover in the carpark to talk Toyota with Runboy.

quote:Originally posted by Phil

So it will be so long to the A2 forum however I will do a final write up on the main area when it goes and will still hover in the carpark to talk Toyota with Runboy.

Good man, you know it makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back