Replace the exhaust or fit a new flexi? What's best value for money?

Ken Long

Hi
So the A2 is in for its MoT next month. Last year a small blow was noted as an advisory. I have mentioned it to my mechanic and the two options are (1) all new zorst with CAT so £££ or (2) welding on a new flexi. Option 2 seems like a great idea but further research shows that this isn't a particularly straightforward job. At £55 per hour labour is it going to be much cheaper than a just putting a whole new pipe on it?
I have seen Mr Exhaust in Reigate mentioned here, are they still a recommended garage? If so, does anyone have any recent costs for flexi welding from them? It would be about a 300 mile round trip to get to them, but our A2 is hitting around 70 mpg at the minute, so would only be about £30 in diesel to get there

The original exhaust is a wonderful well built thing. I cut one off and regret it. It was 19 year old and no significant corrosion.
Unless you’re going for a £900 stainless custom exhaust I’d get a flexy welded in. It’s a common repair.

The original exhaust is a wonderful well built thing. I cut one off and regret it. It was 19 year old and no significant corrosion.
Unless you’re going for a £900 stainless custom exhaust I’d get a flexy welded in. It’s a common repair.
The original exhausts is still on our 2003 A2 and the 2002 A4 although the one on the A4 is in much better condition and that has spent all its life on the Fylde coast.
Both are TDI's.👍

I have repaired three tdi flexible couplings. I am lucky because I know a good welder. Removing the four nuts that attach the exhaust to the turbo is a bit of a fiddle. You also need a 50mm exhaust pipe joiner clamp as you have to chop the pipe with a cutting disk just after the CAT.

I would never throw away the original exhaust unless it was totally destroyed.
The exhaust hanger just behind the flexi corroded through the pipe on our 2001 1.4. Wall thickness is about double that of current replacements.
Cut out the damaged bit and plated a new bit in.
For flexi repairs I made a wooden jig with a couple of clamps and some bolts to hold the manifold flange. It holds the pipes in alignment so you can cut out the damaged bit and everything still lines up. Lot easier to do a decent job welding on the bench compared to under the car.
Have used for flexi repairs on other VAG cars and just adapt it to each model.
I buy the triple wall weld on which gives enough metal at the join to give a decent connection.

Back